Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma controller not turning on camera

Murray

Reaction score
I get good reception from camera in flight but controller does not record drone journey on camera SD. It happened once when I pressed the record button for more than 3 seconds and a bar appeared on bottom of controller screen of elapsed time. Are there manual presettings on the camera which prevent videos from being taken. Do I need the extreme SD.

Reactions: thesurfer26
Incompatible SD cards are a known issue with Gopro Hero Cameras. You should make sure you are only using an approved SD card in a GoPro camera.

Do you have any problems with the camera on the ground? Can you film with it outside the drone? What about using the Karma Grip?

I have experienced similar problems:
I got a silver 4 and a black 5 camera and both harnesses for the karma.
So far I haven’t had any luck making the 5 work with the drone, only with the grip.
The 4 silver works fine, it does get recognized by the drone and every component it’s up to date... but the record and mode buttons on the side of the controller don’t seem to work AT ALL. I can fly the 4 silver no problem, but it never activates the record on the camera while connected to the drone. On the grip I have no problem. I have a compatible SD card as well per gopro specifications from the list of compatible cards.
I’ve tried several times, taking the camera in and out from the housing, removing the battery and/or the SD card, removing the stabilizer and re-inserting it and nothing seems to work.
I believe I have a malfunctioning housing for the 5 black since that doesn’t get recognized on the drone. When it shows up after booting the drone up it says camera not detected or camera malfunction, even though it shows on the devices as up to date.
As why the record button doesn’t enable the recording on the 4 silver or let me change the mode (not responsive) I have no clue why could that be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I’ve only had the system for about 2 weeks and gopro customer service doesn’t seem to know the reason for these issues either.
Thanks for reading

The Hero 4 and 5 have a completely different “harness”. You actually have to remove one harness from the stabilizer with a special screw driver, in order to install the orher.

I have no idea how you would be flying with a Hero 4 in a Hero 5 harness. Perhaps you actually have a Hero 4 Harness?

The Hero 4 and 5 have a completely different “harness”. You actually have to remove one harness from the stabilizer with a special screw driver, in order to install the orher.

I have no idea how you would be flying with a Hero 4 in a Hero 5 harness. Perhaps you actually have a Hero 4 Harness?

That is correct. 2 different harness, 1 for each camera and yes I have both. What I meant is that I remove the harness, use the 4 and it flies but it doesn't record.
When I try the 5, I remove the harness, use the one I have for the 5, put it all together again, and that one doesn't gets recognized by the drone. Both harness and cameras work fine with the grip

Reactions: Shon
That is correct. 2 different harness, 1 for each camera and yes I have both. What I meant is that I remove the harness, use the 4 and it flies but it doesn't record.
When I try the 5, I remove the harness, use the one I have for the 5, put it all together again, and that one doesn't gets recognized by the drone. Both harness and cameras work fine with the grip

Hmm... if they work with the Grip it sounds more like a problem with the body of the drone. I hope Gopro customer support has some answers.

Hmm... if they work with the Grip it sounds more like a problem with the body of the drone. I hope Gopro customer support has some answers.
I was on the phone with them earlier, they seem to think the problem might be the stabilizer malfunctioning when in use with the drone. They’re sending a replacement... we’ll see. I’ll keep you posted once I replace it.

I was on the phone with them earlier, they seem to think the problem might be the stabilizer malfunctioning when in use with the drone. They’re sending a replacement... we’ll see. I’ll keep you posted once I replace it.

Awesome. Best of luck!

Update: Drone has been up and working. It seemed to work after changing stabilizer and now starts and flights as it suppose to.

Reactions: Shon and Ironspear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy