Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma Being Discontinued

WilsonFlyer

Reaction score
Can't believe I haven't seen a discussion regarding this yet. It's been going on for a few days now.

upload_2018-1-8_9-41-56.png

Too bad. I was hoping they'd become a viable competitor in the drone space...

"GoPro hoped its Karma drone would drive growth. Instead, the action camera maker confirmed it’s ending Karma production and will cut nearly 300 jobs, or more than 20% of its global workforce."

GoPro’s drone efforts have failed

I just bought one when I got my Gopro 6 for Christmas. Think I should return it? Now I’m worried if I have any issues I won’t be able to get good customer support or replacement parts. What does everyone think will happen because of this.

I just got back from Best Buy returning mine. Loved the Karma, but leary of their ability to provide good customer service now that their downsizing. Guess I better join the DJI threads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got back from Best Buy returning mine. Loved the Karma, but leary of their ability to provide good customer service now that their downsizing. Guess I better join the DJI threads...

They took it back even though you used it? I’ve used the camera but not the drone yet. Did they charge you the restocking fee? Thanks

No questions asked. No restocking fee.

The Karma bundle on the GoPro site is going for $999. With that you get the Hero 6 Black and Karma Grip that go for around $700 if you buy them independently. That puts you really spending around $300 bucks for the Karma Drone, doesn't really seem to me that you can get all that hurt even if they quit making them. Buy a couple extra batteries and parts, get the warranty and have some fun.

The Karma bundle on the GoPro site is going for $999. With that you get the Hero 6 Black and Karma Grip that go for around $700 if you buy them independently. That puts you really spending around $300 bucks for the Karma Drone, doesn't really seem to me that you can get all that hurt even if they quit making them. Buy a couple extra batteries and parts, get the warranty and have some fun.

And it's going to get reduced even more as we near end of inventory and the 6 just went down $100 anyway. I fully intend on picking up 2-3 more as we near the end of the cycle and they get to rock bottom, assuming it happens.

I just bought one when I got my Gopro 6 for Christmas. Think I should return it? Now I’m worried if I have any issues I won’t be able to get good customer support or replacement parts. What does everyone think will happen because of this.

I'm in the same boat. Love my drone but wondering if this may be a good reason to return it. Thoughts?

Called GoPro today to talk about this issue and get some reassurance that with GoPro Care I would be covered for the term of the plan even though they are ceasing manufacturing of the Karma. Not only did the rep confirm, yes, Karma will be discontinued, he seemed pretty confident to reassure me that they will still support repair, replacement, and software updates to the existing drones.

Called GoPro today to talk about this issue and get some reassurance that with GoPro Care I would be covered for the term of the plan even though they are ceasing manufacturing of the Karma. Not only did the rep confirm, yes, Karma will be discontinued, he seemed pretty confident to reassure me that they will still support repair, replacement, and software updates to the existing drones.

Well of course they told you that. What did you expect them to say?

Karma's gone from the product line. That's a matter of public record and disclosure to the stockholders. Nothing "reinforcing" about them telling you any of that. He's toeing the company line, as he should. What they may or may not do, he hasn't a clue. GoPro may be in chapter 11 inside 90 days, and may have NO say in strategic direction for any of its product line for that matter.

Lots of plates spinning here besides Karma. Karma is simply collateral damage at this point.

As far as "continued software updates" goes, they've pretty much fired their entire software team from what has been posted. Actually, I sort of hope that's true. My history with multiple quads and multis in the past has been that most of the CF's (cluster$@#!$) come from things that have happened after the fact (firmware and software updates). If they want to do anything else, pull the damn big brother oversight geofencing out and leave it alone forever and that would make me happy. Make just enough updates to keep it compatible with iOS and Android updates and I'm a happy camper. If they'd to that, I just might buy all of their remaining inventory myself because I could get RICH reselling it.

The greatest thing about my other RC flying (planes, giant scale, helis, jets, etc.) it that once they're built/I've finished building them, the manufacturer is pretty much out of the picture. Thank God. I don't WANT them in the picture anymore. Them continuing to stay in the picture may be my biggest single complaint about the direction multis have taken of late. I'm a big boy and a responsible adult pilot. Get out of my way and let me be one.

Reactions: Billybob
Well of course they told you that. What did you expect them to say?

Karma's gone from the product line. That's a matter of public record and disclosure to the stockholders. Nothing "reinforcing" about them telling you any of that. He's toeing the company line, as he should. What they may or may not do, he hasn't a clue. GoPro may be in chapter 11 inside 90 days, and may have NO say in strategic direction for any of its product line for that matter.

Lots of plates spinning here besides Karma. Karma is simply collateral damage at this point.

As far as "continued software updates" goes, they've pretty much fired their entire software team from what has been posted. Actually, I sort of hope that's true. My history with multiple quads and multis in the past has been that most of the CF's (cluster$@#!$) come from things that have happened after the fact (firmware and software updates). If they want to do anything else, pull the damn big brother oversight geofencing out and leave it alone forever and that would make me happy. Make just enough updates to keep it compatible with iOS and Android updates and I'm a happy camper. If they'd to that, I just might buy all of their remaining inventory myself because I could get RICH reselling it.

The greatest thing about my other RC flying (planes, giant scale, helis, jets, etc.) it that once they're built/I've finished building them, the manufacturer is pretty much out of the picture. Thank God. I don't WANT them in the picture anymore. Them continuing to stay in the picture may be my biggest single complaint about the direction multis have taken of late. I'm a big boy and a responsible adult pilot. Get out of my way and let me be one.

Thanks for your insight. I was just trying to relay to the group what I heard from customer care. I like my Karma and I (like others) want to know that I am still supported to continuing flying it. Not everyone is a "big boy" pilot and don't want to try to deal with my own code updates via Android or iOS compatibility.

That wasn't directed at you at all, so much as the manufacturers playing big brother and trying to control where and how I can fly. That's the part of this whole experience I resent, and it's not just GoPro either. DJI is magnitudes worse.

Reactions: jcrawle2
I’m also stuck from Christmas purchase. Missed the 14 day return policy by 5 days. I don’t have any choice now. Will keep flying at low altitudes and make the best of it. Oh well, Roll Tide.

I’m also stuck from Christmas purchase. Missed the 14 day return policy by 5 days. I don’t have any choice now. Will keep flying at low altitudes and make the best of it. Oh well, Roll Tide.

I'm sorry to hear your flies differently now than it did a week ago. I don't think mine does. Happy flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS