Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma back left propeller motor not working

Christoff

Reaction score
I sunk my drone but still got it out of the CT River in 30 degree weather. Talk about almost getting frost bite! But when I got it home, I dried it out but wasn't patience enough and some water was still in it. Long story short the back left motor started smoking and it fried something on the motherboard. I replaced the arm hoping it was that but isn't. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get it fixed? GoPro plus isn't helping me and everything else works perfect. It's good for parts but such a shame that it's useless now.

On motherboard is an ESC for each motor. Would guess you fried the one for that motor. Look for where 3 wires from motor on that arm come in and the device they come from is the ESC. Being part of motor board would be hard to replace but ESC will it will have + and - connection (high current one) and a signal wire, and the three wires to the motor. New ESC’s are cheap. A 30 amp one would be plenty big enough.

One like this would probably work if you can fit it in. The ground on the signal lead (black wire) would not be needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shon and Ironspear
On motherboard is an ESC for each motor. Would guess you fried the one for that motor. Look for where 3 wires from motor on that arm come in and the device they come from is the ESC. Being part of motor board would be hard to replace but ESC will it will have + and - connection (high current one) and a signal wire, and the three wires to the motor. New ESC’s are cheap. A 30 amp one would be plenty big enough.

One like this would probably work if you can fit it in. The ground on the signal lead (black wire) would not be needed.

Interesting. Excuse my ignorance, but do esc's not need to "balance" each other so they output the same power and rotations? I didn't know one could "mix and match" esc's...

In past you needed to hook all, if you had a quad harness, to throttle on receiver and then set up on transmitter usually by turning on with throttle at max and slide to minimum. Otherwise you did one at a time. Was about radio setup more than what the ESCs saw. I have two units I built and several I bought and that process is not needed and I doubt needed on Karma. The flight controller drives each motor as needed. I have a bigger guad that ESC smoked on and put new one on that is different than the others. No issues. If can figure out how to get it in place of old one not much $ involved to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ok I sunk my drone last January and like you recovered it from the sea,not recommended by the way fresh water is marginally better to recover them from.
I ended up buying a crashed drone and using the motherboard and best the from it.
So now I am back flying but not after major issues the gimble which was not happy with getting wet.
Rory.

In past you needed to hook all, if you had a quad harness, to throttle on receiver and then set up on transmitter usually by turning on with throttle at max and slide to minimum. Otherwise you did one at a time. Was about radio setup more than what the ESCs saw. I have two units I built and several I bought and that process is not needed and I doubt needed on Karma. The flight controller drives each motor as needed. I have a bigger guad that ESC smoked on and put new one on that is different than the others. No issues. If can figure out how to get it in place of old one not much $ involved to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, thanks man, makes sense. Would the same hold true if you replaced one of the motors with a similar but different motor (same / similar specs, or different brand)? Would the flight controller and esc's be able to "make sense" of the new motor that doesn't fly exactly the same as the other motors?

I am not sure on that one but if a replacement motor needed it should be at least have the same KV rating then it would work. I had a little quad I smoked a motor on and that blew an ESC. Motor no longer made so I put better rated ESCs on (old ones only 10 amp rated and newer ESCs so much smaller I went to 30 amp) and a set of bigger motors on. Much more powerful quad now!

Reactions: Ironspear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS