Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma 2.0? We can only hope?

Ellsworth_RD_Productions

Reaction score
Yep, saw that. However they are still available through Bestbuy so it may just be a rumor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just came here to post this story. First rumor I have heard indicating this is moving forward.

I always urge Gopro to think of the Karma 2, the main reason is it is a trend of UAV devices for multiple Civil or Industrial usages in the future, I agree with Nick Woodman's idea of purchasing the resolution not only the product, the increasing restricting regulations will be more friendly when drone flying become necessity, to join the market is not only for price competition but to solve the needs.

As a landscape photographer, I think if Gopro would like to think about Karma 2, I have the following suggestions:
- A DSLR like Hero camera ( for better low light ability)
- More stable flying like a flying tripod (may be more propellers or......)
- Longer flying time (half an hour to one hour)
- Size will be fine but not too big (may be bigger battery needed)
- Controller stays the same
- Speed/altitude/distance will not be important
I think Gopro can design different models to meet varied needs and resolutions.

I've been in the "action cam" and drone stuff for 15 years. GoPro had a chance to partner... ok, well cooperate with DJI when DJI's drone market started taking off (so to speak!). I knew something was amiss when GoPro purposelessly changed the rear port of their cameras to not accept data transmission to the then Phantom 2 series Zenmuse gimbals. You then instead had to use a cheesy ribbon cable to go into the side port of the GoPro camera. This was extremely frustrating to anyone who had an older Phantom and bought a newer GoPro.

Instead of embracing DJI's innovations and cooperating by potentially supplying cameras or parts, GoPro decided they wanted a slice of the Drone industry... without much of a clue about drones.

At the 2016 Interbike show (One of GoPro's largest retailer appearances) when they first announced the Karma, everyone was in awe of this new machine. I myself was interested and personally could see a need for a drone+action cam that could separate as two different tools, but I could also see many lacking features the DJI Phantom line already had. The folding drone concept was already a hot item the prior year at CES. Little did GoPro know DJI was waiting to pounce.

10 or so days after Interbike DJI released the Mavic Pro and completely crushed GoPro's entry into the consumer drone market.

To top that, the battery connections on the first run of Karmas that cause mid-flight falling bricks pretty much finished off this bird. The publicly announced in Jan 2018 they would exit the drone market, there will be no Karma 2.

Stock prices for GoPro were already in trouble, A high of $69 in 2015, down to $12 by Sep 2016, bumped up a bit as they released their last hope, the Karma, all to have it come literally crashing down. The stock today I see is only $4.40. Sad...

I thing GoPro's ego was too much and now they are struggling to stay alive. I hope the best for them, but they need to listen to the consumer's needs a lot more.

This is not a rant, just my observations over the last several years.

...and add to that DJI has entered, very strongly, into the Sport Cam market with their new camera. Maybe DJI will buy out GoPro? At one point it might have been the other way around... some might call this "Karma" ;-)

Reactions: Ironspear
I've been in the "action cam" and drone stuff for 15 years. GoPro had a chance to partner... ok, well cooperate with DJI when DJI's drone market started taking off (so to speak!). I knew something was amiss when GoPro purposelessly changed the rear port of their cameras to not accept data transmission to the then Phantom 2 series Zenmuse gimbals. You then instead had to use a cheesy ribbon cable to go into the side port of the GoPro camera. This was extremely frustrating to anyone who had an older Phantom and bought a newer GoPro.

Instead of embracing DJI's innovations and cooperating by potentially supplying cameras or parts, GoPro decided they wanted a slice of the Drone industry... without much of a clue about drones.

At the 2016 Interbike show (One of GoPro's largest retailer appearances) when they first announced the Karma, everyone was in awe of this new machine. I myself was interested and personally could see a need for a drone+action cam that could separate as two different tools, but I could also see many lacking features the DJI Phantom line already had. The folding drone concept was already a hot item the prior year at CES. Little did GoPro know DJI was waiting to pounce.

10 or so days after Interbike DJI released the Mavic Pro and completely crushed GoPro's entry into the consumer drone market.

To top that, the battery connections on the first run of Karmas that cause mid-flight falling bricks pretty much finished off this bird. The publicly announced in Jan 2018 they would exit the drone market, there will be no Karma 2.

Stock prices for GoPro were already in trouble, A high of $69 in 2015, down to $12 by Sep 2016, bumped up a bit as they released their last hope, the Karma, all to have it come literally crashing down. The stock today I see is only $4.40. Sad...

I thing GoPro's ego was too much and now they are struggling to stay alive. I hope the best for them, but they need to listen to the consumer's needs a lot more.

This is not a rant, just my observations over the last several years.

I may have posted an article related to this some time ago... but... Gopro actually did attempt to partner with DJI on a drone. DJI turned them down, so GoPro decided to enter the market themselves, and that is how the Karma was born.

At the time, Gopro may have thought it would be easier to enter the market themselves. Given hindsight, perhaps they would have pursued a more mutually beneficial arrangement?

DJI's recent release of an FPV Kit does seem to open the door to Gopro, even if only by an inch.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I may have posted an article related to this some time ago... but... Gopro actually did attempt to partner with DJI on a drone. DJI turned them down, so GoPro decided to enter the market themselves, and that is how the Karma was born.

Interesting, I had heard (from more than one source including one GoPro employee) that it was the other way around... kinda moot at this point anyway, but too bad for GoPro.

Yes, the new DJI FPV stuff may bring some new life to GoPro equiped machines... of which I still have 3 of them!

Reactions: Billybob and Shon
Wish they would!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not going to happen. GoPro is hanging by a thread, they blew their wad on the Karma and it's been downhill ever since. They have NO MONEY for another chancy exploit... their stock when the Karma marketing started was over $65/share... As of today, it is now $2.29/share, they are dead if they do not partner with someone... or get bought out IMO.

Not going to happen. GoPro is hanging by a thread, they blew their wad on the Karma and it's been downhill ever since. They have NO MONEY for another chancy exploit... their stock when the Karma marketing started was over $65/share... As of today, it is now $2.29/share, they are dead if they do not partner with someone... or get bought out IMO.

Well... it is a bit more complicated than that. Gopro tried to be the next "Youtube"...that is really where they "blew their wad". It was a much larger expenditure than the KARMA...and into a completely unrelated market that they truly had no experience in. That misadventure, along with a forced recall of the "Karma" sent their stock spiraling. They were forced to downsize, and eliminate everything but their core business as a result.

Their stock was starting to look up recently...then COVID-19 hit. For some reason...folks aren't traveling or going on adventures...so the market for action cameras has been affected.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Well... it is a bit more complicated than that. Gopro tried to be the next "Youtube"...that is really where they "blew their wad". It was a much larger expenditure than the KARMA...and into a completely unrelated market that they truly had no experience in. That misadventure, along with a forced recall of the "Karma" sent their stock spiraling. They were forced to downsize, and eliminate everything but their core business as a result.

Their stock was starting to look up recently...then COVID-19 hit. For some reason...folks aren't traveling or going on adventures...so the market for action cameras has been affected.

Agree completely... forgot about all that video editing/sharing/social crap they were pushing. Honestly that irritated me and I ignored it. It will be interesting to see where GoPro goes... heck at less than $3.00 per share it might be worth a few hundred bucks just to see what happens! ;-) Cheers Shon!

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS