Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

It's not you, it's me

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Hello fellow aviators,
After my son lost my Phantom FC40 in 300ft of water, I have decided to let it rest in peices and not to send my son down to fetch it, and have grounded him (for life) instead. So the positive is I could justify the cost to my Wife for that I neexex a new drone and for once she agreed with me!!!
Since I use GoPro for training videos it made sense to go for Karma. However, I am really concerned that so few people have one. Therefore, the Karma is either the Rolls-Royce of drones and the masses are jealous or I've made a huge error and have people who willb point and laugh when I bring it out.
Can anyone reassure me I have done the right thing or has my choice made me a classic-Dick?
Many Thanks for your time in replying and I'm also new to this UAV malarkey, so please be gentle with me.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old & bold pilots.
Hummingbird Media Productions

Well I like it for the camera, it’s still one of the best cameras on a sub- 1,000 drone.
However, I’ve added the antenna booster to my controller which I believe helps 100%. Not using it professionally but you can pick them up cheap right now. However , I would add the antenna booster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Hummingbird
Hi there Humm!

Recently purchased mine too.

It is a brilliant camera platform and really quite easy to fly (not having to use your phone is a real plus also).

Just follow your pre flight check list like it is your bible.

Don't, as your sig line says "be too BOLD".

I personally would not fly over water at all lol.

Have fun flying!

Hi there Humm!

Recently purchased mine too.

It is a brilliant camera platform and really quite easy to fly (not having to use your phone is a real plus also).

Just follow your pre flight check list like it is your bible.

Don't, as your sig line says "be too BOLD".

I personally would not fly over water at all lol.

Have fun flying!
I've been flying my Karma since the day it came out (both times). I live on the coast and most of my flying is on beaches and over the ocean. No issues.

That's reassuring and yeah, ideally I would avoid the water, but living on a loch means that's unavoidable.
I only discovered the range extender yesterday, but there is a lot of mixed opinion as to whether it works or not.
Ironspear; Is there a particular pre-flight check list on part of the forum, or just follow the prompts and dare I say it 'common sense'?

Yeah Humm, use the above checklist. Its very comprehensive. Get the magentology and uav forcast app mentioned in it too.

All the best,

I have to say i just love my karma and have flown a few others, Still waiting for my antenna from skydrone usa. Also no problems thus far.

I only discovered the range extender yesterday, but there is a lot of mixed opinion as to whether it works or not.

Mixed opinion? I have yet see negative comments on the “range extender” which I assume is the larger external patch antenna I have. I have never pushed extreme ranges with the Karma I have and am careful when around other wifi sources. Even then I see less video interference on the system and feel better about loosing control because of most common cause, wifi interference. I have had no big issues with my Karma and it has performed very well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mixed opinion? I have yet see negative comments on the “range extender” which I assume is the larger external patch antenna I have. I have never pushed extreme ranges with the Karma I have and am careful when around other wifi sources. Even then I see less video interference on the system and feel better about loosing control because of most common cause, wifi interference. I have had no big issues with my Karma and it has performed very well for me.

I appreciate your reassurance, I was beginning to think I had bought a sinking ship. I guess you treat the bird in accordance with common sense, have a spotter with you and be patient. Regards the range extender, I have seen a blog and a YouTube video that both said that it made little difference, however I don't seem to have a supplier in the UK anyway, so I will keep an eye out.
I do appreciate your positive comments and pleased I found this forum.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old & bold pilots.

One of the few with very minimal problems with this drone. I have had it and flown it for more than eight months. I have only calibrated it one time. I fly it in my neighborhood during the day and night. I fly it in a field across from a field they fly all sorts of remote control aircraft including high performance jets. In that field I have flown 200 ft. High 1000 ft. Out. With no problem. I have flown over a combination of land water land area 200 ft. High and 500 ft. Out with some unreal pictures. If I hadn’t heard so many complaints about this drone I would use it for some type of business. I have heard probably one of worst things you want to hear “ GPS LOST”. Fortunately most of the drones I have flown did not have GPS ,so the two times I did lose GPS
I was able to control the Drone and fly with out GPS.

I’ve flown it for over a year, with and without GPS. A couple of “close calls” due to user inexperience early on, but no crashes. I’ve flown it in areas where I had bad reception and lost connection to the drone, but regained control without issue. I’ve generally been able to fly when and where I legally desired without issue. It’s a great areal platform for the camera at a reasonable price. I get a ton of use out of the Karma Grip, and I’ve been very happy with my purchase.

Pleased I found this forum! Feeling much more confident for my first proper flight, since it's either rained or I've been working. I will let you all know how I get on. Many Thanks!

I keep saying if a new guad flyer do not start out on Karma. Buy cheap, no GPS quad and fly the hell out of it. Then fly the Karma. Brand new pilots equate drone flying off to GPS failure. Is simply not true. It is pilot error.

I keep saying if a new guad flyer do not start out on Karma. Buy cheap, no GPS quad and fly the hell out of it. Then fly the Karma. Brand new pilots equate drone flying off to GPS failure. Is simply not true. It is pilot error.

Very true JCLs!
I purchased the Parrot Mambo drone to practice indoors with.
A very forgiving drone for the beginner, with the prop guards on it is ALMOST indestructible.
Just one downward looking camera to hold its position and it does this exceptionally well.
Great for practicing your fine maneuvers in confined spaces.

I think that sounds good advice, which I hadn't considered. Is there anything under £100 $120 that you would recommend that is similar to flying the Karma? I'm guessing the Parrot is outwith my budget...

I don’t know but bet there is. I started flying helies about 6 or 7 years ago and no GPS is no problem,,,,,, finally!

The Parrot Mambo FPV pack retails here in Oz for AU$228 (around 130 UK pounds).

For this you get.....

1 Mambo drone
1 battery
1 set of prop guards
1 Bluetooth controller
1 detachable forward looking camera
1 pair FPV goggles

I bought extra batteries and a usb charger for them from ebay for AU$48 (4 batteries and a 4 slot usb charger)

Have I sold you on this yet?? LMAO!

ALLRIGHT ALLRIGHT I'll throw in a set of steak knives as well.....

Cheers!

The Parrot Mambo FPV pack retails here in Oz for AU$228 (around 130 UK pounds).

For this you get.....

1 Mambo drone
1 battery
1 set of prop guards
1 Bluetooth controller
1 detachable forward looking camera
1 pair FPV goggles

I bought extra batteries and a usb charger for them from ebay for AU$48 (4 batteries and a 4 slot usb charger)

Have I sold you on this yet?? LMAO!

ALLRIGHT ALLRIGHT I'll throw in a set of steak knives as well.....

Cheers!
Beginning to think your on commission here... LOL! I will check it out on Amazon (once I check the credit card balance!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS