Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Is there a Rating/Spec for Wind Conditions?

Matisse

Reaction score
My friend lives on coast of KentUK and wondering if this type rating existed for the Karma?
Such as “rated to fly in wind <X knots” or something like that?
Thx all.

I read somewhere that max wind speed is 22 mph (19-ish knots). That being said, I don't plan on flying mine in anything above 15 mph. I'd hate to crash because I had a gust that exceeded the max.

Reactions: Matisse
I have flown pretty regular in 22-25 mph winds on the Gulf of Mexico coast. The Karma bounces around but does OK. Pictures/video fine. Is really pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks JCLs :)

See if your local airport publish an hourly weather report. Here in Canada every airport publish an hourly report and a prediction for up to a week. Remember the stronger your GPS signal the more stable your Karma Drone. I prefer a gentle 5 knot breeze.

Roger THAT @SurfDog ! Hahaha im in that mindset myself! Maybe in a few years, but........ lol

Reactions: SurfDog
That is what I mean! Who wants to fly in the teeth of a cyclone or a twister!

The Karma does handle winds very well. You may see the quad waivering about as it maintains its fight against the wind but the video stab sys is brilliant so your video remains stable. Be aware though that flying in wind will drain your battery quicker.

They do, AWC - Aviation Weather Center You can geek out to your hearts content on aviation weather there. Prog Charts, METARs, TAFs, etc...

Thanks again Phrog -- I'll pass this onto my friend in Kent UK, who originally had me ask the question as he lives right on the coast which can be windy, and is where he expects to do most of his flying. I'll be over there in April, so I get to play also! :) Any way the link seems world applicable... and I own that I am a geek; love me a good long METAR to translate out.....LOL
much appreciated :)

The Karma does handle winds very well. You may see the quad waivering about as it maintains its fight against the wind but the video stab sys is brilliant so your video remains stable. Be aware though that flying in wind will drain your battery quicker.

I just forwarded this info over to my m8 in UK as well - thanks Ironspear!

Wait, what? I like the short ones. Something like "VRB005KT 9999 SKC"
Rofl variable breeze of 5 knots. Clear skies to up to 10000 ft?

Ur too funny!!!! Yep simple is good v?

So is it the TAFs that are short, NETARs are mega long, right?

METARs. I can’t type on my phone.....

Rofl variable breeze of 5 knots. Clear skies to up to 10000 ft?

Ur too funny!!!! Yep simple is good v?
9999 in that position indicates unlimited visibility. So, it would be winds variable at 5kts, unlimited visibility, sky clear.

As for length, generally TAFs are longer - but I have seen some ungodly long METARs and some surprisingly short TAFs over the course of my life.

Cheers @phrogpilot73 I guess i did learn a little something afterall whilst i studied! haha. so noted on the 9999 in that position. fun stuff for me :)
Brilliant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS