Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Is it Possible to reverse Up/Down direction on left joy stick?

Phil

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to reverse the direction of the 'Up & Down' directions on the left joy stick of the Karma controller? Not a big issue when Karma is stationary but when flying 'like a fixed wing plane' the automatic action to increase altitude is to pull the stick back. A couple of near misses and one crash so far, due to this pilot error.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's possible to reverse the direction of the 'Up & Down' directions on the left joy stick of the Karma controller? Not a big issue when Karma is stationary but when flying 'like a fixed wing plane' the automatic action to increase altitude is to pull the stick back. A couple of near misses and one crash so far, due to this pilot error.

Not good if you are trying to hand land, lol. Seriously though, I think there is an option to reverse controls in controls setting on the remote. Play around with it, and see what you can find.

Thanks Shon but the only control change I can find is wheel direction for camera tilt. I've got some good footage of the Karma ploughing into the beach at full speed while I was 'pulling' the stick the wrong way. Apart from three damaged props and a popped gimbal cover and after cleaning out the sand, all seems to be fine... but I would like to change stick direction if possible. I've been hand landing to keep it away from the sand and dirt but this crash was a doozy! The greatest risk is the the low battery triggering 'auto landing' and karma moves unexpectedly.

Thanks Shon but the only control change I can find is wheel direction for camera tilt. I've got some good footage of the Karma ploughing into the beach at full speed while I was 'pulling' the stick the wrong way. Apart from three damaged props and a popped gimbal cover and after cleaning out the sand, all seems to be fine... but I would like to change stick direction if possible. I've been hand landing to keep it away from the sand and dirt but this crash was a doozy! The greatest risk is the the low battery triggering 'auto landing' and karma moves unexpectedly.
Ouch! So sorry!

Now that you mention it, changing the wheel direction is the only change I saw as well. Sorry for the misinformation.

I recently saw a crash video where someone had printed out labels for their controller (up down, forward, back, etc). Im not sure how helpful that would be, especially since they crashed.

I’m pretty sure that most non-fixed wing UAVs have similar flight controls.

I was really into a VR space flight sim before I got my drone, and the controls are opposite those on my Karma. It still throws me off sometiimes as the right stick on the sim controlled altitude thrusters. What helps me is taking things slowly, especially when I’m just getting warmed up.

Practice makes perfect. I followed the advice of one UAV pilot that recommended drills. One drill is flying figure eights. One you get very confortable wih flying figure eights one direction, switch directions. You can fly to high altitude on one side, and to low altitude on the other, then after a time, you switch sides. Again, switch directions of the figure eight and alternate sides. By doing a figure eight, as opposed to linear flight, you are helping to commit the flight controls to muscle memory. You are doing too many things at once to focus exclusively on altitude. You are also getting used to controlling the drone when it is facing you. You can do these drills slowly and increase speed as you gain proficiency.

Someone once told me that even professional athletes “go back to the basics”, doing drills they’ve done, ever since they were little kids. I admit, it’s not the most interesting way to spend my time, but it certainly has helped with familiarity of the controls and how the Karma handles in the air. It’s also alowed me to have a bit more confidence in tighter spaces or under less than ideal flight conditions.

Yep, it's about training, practice and 'muscle memory' Shon – you should be able to automatically fly the aircraft as you think about it without having to interpret the thoughts – like driving a car...
Despite the embarrassment, here's the story -

Wow...beautiful Video! What a great place to shoot! That crash was definitely a doozie!

Reactions: Phil
SHhhhhhoooosssshhh! Keep it quiet Shon, no one knows that this is where god comes when he's sick of paradise.... ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS