Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Hovering over water

Urbanhopper

Reaction score
How low can you fly Karma, or a drone for that matter, over a body of water? Like for example a beach.

How low can you fly Karma, or a drone for that matter, over a body of water? Like for example a beach.

Well, in a way, that's a strong point of the Karma. Drones with downward sensors sometimes struggle with water because of its constant movement and reflectivity. The Karma doesn't have downward sensors so it doesn't suffer from this problem. I'd avoid getting too close though. It's lack of downward sensors does make it an impercise hoverer under all conditions.

Well, in a way, that's a strong point of the Karma. Drones with downward sensors sometimes struggle with water because of its constant movement and reflectivity. The Karma doesn't have downward sensors so it doesn't suffer from this problem. I'd avoid getting too close though. It's lack of downward sensors does make it an impercise hoverer under all conditions.
Would you know how close to the water can you get? The safest distance?

Would you know how close to the water can you get? The safest distance?

Maybe I'm not being clear. Water isn't a factor. The drone varies it's height significantly over all surfaces. Try it over land, heck try it in your driveway. Other than waves or what not, you can go as close as you want but understand that the drone will drift up and down randomly. Sometimes by feet. I crashed a similar drone trying to fly too close to the ground. It doesn't have as a precise altitude control system as more sophisticated drones.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not being clear. Water isn't a factor. The drone varies it's height significantly over all surfaces. Try it over land, heck try it in your driveway. Other than waves or what not, you can go as close as you want but understand that the drone will drift up and down randomly. Sometimes by feet. I crashed a similar drone trying to fly to close to the ground. It doesn't have as a precise altitude controcl system as more sophisticated drones.
Got it. Thanks!

I always keep at least a metre above and watch closely as Karma can move about a bit. Also, don't just rely on the height stated by the controller.

Reactions: Urbanhopper
I have seen YouTube videos of the Karma landing on the water using foam noddles mounted on the landing gear. The water was very calm. It's a risk I would not be willing to take even if I was a good drone pilot.

I have seen YouTube videos of the Karma landing on the water using foam noddles mounted on the landing gear. The water was very calm. It's a risk I would not be willing to take even if I was a good drone pilot.

Heck, landing on water is more doable than hovering close to water. You know what I mean?

Reactions: Shon
Heck, landing on water is more doable than hovering close to water. You know what I mean?
Lol.

This question reminds me of a story. In the Old West, there were four stage coach drivers that were being interviewed for a job. The first driver claimed that he could drive the stagecoach on a mountain pass with the wheels just touching the edge of the cliff, and still maintain control. The second claimed he could maintain control with the wheel hanging half-way over the edge of the cliff. The third boasted that even with a wheel hanging all-the-way over edge of the the cliff, he could safely maintain control. The forth stated that he stayed as far away from the edge of the cliff as possible. Guess who got the job?

I don’t mind pushing the envelope a bit, but given my experience with the Karma, I would try and stay as far away from “the edge of the cliff” as possible.

Last edited:
Lol.

This question reminds me of a story. In the Old West, there were four stage coach drivers that were being interviewed for a job. The first driver claimed that he could drive the stagecoach on a mountain pass with the wheels just touching the edge of the cliff, and still maintain control. The second claimed he could maintain control with the wheel hanging half-way over the edge of the cliff. The third boasted that even with a wheel hanging all-the-way over edge of the the cliff, he could safely maintain control. The forth stated that he stayed as far away from the edge of the cliff as possible. Guess who got the job?

I don’t mind pushing the envelope a bit, but given my experience with the Karma, I would try and stay as far away from “the edge of the cliff” as possible.

Yep that's basically my point. I'm honestly not trying to slam the unit but it drifts a lot! It's not a unit that I feel comfortable taking my eyes off it for a minute much less getting close to trees, walls, people, or anything else. I'm not sure why anyone would want to get close to water to begin with.

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS