Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Hero 8 Black - Will It Work In Karma?

IM35461

Reaction score
Looks a little different and no clarification...

EDIT: No it won't and has no video output :(

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: XerxesZ and Steve7
No...Sounds like it will not be compatible.

Many of the featured offered through the 8, are pretty much in-camera features that would have been disabled, even if you had a "Karma Cradle" mount.

The ONLY feature that I think would be worth the upgrade, is the ability to shoot 4k linear mode.

The Cradle was a $30 accessory, for the Hero 4 or Hero 5-7 to be mounted on the Karma. Could a Hero 8 cradle be manufactured for the Karma Grip and Drone? I don't see why not... But I'm not an engineer...perhaps there are some legitimate logistical challenges?

Reactions: XerxesZ
Thought this was interesting. I was wondering what drone they were using at least some of the promo video for the Hero 8 was shot using the Karma Drone and an earlier camera:

Even if the only advantage of using the GPH 8 is LInear in 4K, I would take that !! We need an upgraded harness or cradle that can support the GoPro Hero 8 Black.

Everyone who owns a Karma needs to call in or chat with GoPro and ask them about making the GoPro Hero 8 compatible with the Karma Drone and Stabilizer. I was in a chat session yesterday with GoPro customer service, of course, they didn't know anything.

Last edited:
Even if the only advantage of using the GPH 8 is LInear in 4K, I would take that !! We need an upgraded harness or cradle that can support the GoPro Hero 8 Black.

Everyone who owns a Karma needs to call in or chat with GoPro and ask them about making the GoPro Hero 8 compatible with the Karma Drone and Stabilizer. I was in a chat session yesterday with GoPro customer service, of course, they didn't anything.

At the very least, I would like to see Gopro support the Hero 8 in the Karma Grip. Not going to hold my breath though...

No...Sounds like it will not be compatible.

Many of the featured offered through the 8, are pretty much in-camera features that would have been disabled, even if you had a "Karma Cradle" mount.

The ONLY feature that I think would be worth the upgrade, is the ability to shoot 4k linear mode.

The Cradle was a $30 accessory, for the Hero 4 or Hero 5-7 to be mounted on the Karma. Could a Hero 8 cradle be manufactured for the Karma Grip and Drone? I don't see why not... But I'm not an engineer...perhaps there are some legitimate logistical challenges?

I agree that GoPro can manufacture a special cradle for Karma. But the question is, do they want to make it? And I don't think they will make it unless we tell them to. If they wanted to make any changes to Karma they would have released something new for Karma. It's almost as if Karma is dead. Karma was a mistake and they've moved on.

Last edited:
Hmmm, Who is, "Funny DC" ? If you check out the refurbished Karma Drone package for sale, here; https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/accessories/refurbished-karma-drone/QKWXX-K01.html it's been sold out for a long time. I wonder how many Karma's were manufactured, thousands? Eventually, they will completely sell out.

forgot the comma - Funny, "DC".

DC is the vlogger in the youtube video.

And, yea, it's ashame, great camera(s) and perfect platform for drone photos and video; I'm guessing supplies, support will go away relatively (1-2 years) soon.

Last edited:
I spoke to a Gopro rep last week and he said no more drones for Gopro , they’re no going to sell nothing about karma in the future , no special harness for Gopro 8 will come , definitely not compatible. They left drone business

I Guess we will all just wait till they all crash or sell them ...all tech companies abandon something at sooner or later . Its been was fun while it lasted. Nothing Lost Nothing gained, ever purchased a $4000.00 TV and had it discontinued in a year ...yep happens all the time .

Reactions: Shon and XerxesZ
I can't believe GoPro abandoned the Karma. Such a great product. Hope they change their mind at some point.

Reactions: Shon
I think another company like Amazon should purchase Karma from Go pro. It really is a superior product, and it fits their little niche products .

Hi there!
Received my Hero 8 yesterday... It‘s the worst GoPro I ever owned and it will go right back to the dealer. Why? In low light conditions there are horizontal lines running through your footage starting at ISO 800 and above. Joined by a really noisy picture.
Second: Photos in low light. Not sharp and completely blurry.
Compared to the Hero 7 and even Hero 6 there are lightyears inbetween.
Third: Front lens cover not exchangeable. I own a lot of GoPro’s and every Cam had a new lens cover glass over time. If you use them, they get scratched. That’s normal because they are made for action. As long as you are able to swap them you will always have perfect footage for the cost of about 17 bucks. With Hero 8 you‘re owned and will have to live with ugly lens flares coming from scratches. Very bad idea, having a fixed lens cover.

So I will stay with my Hero 7‘s and 6‘s.
I will go on a mission to Antarctica next week and I need good footage from down there. (No drones allowed in Antarctica.)
I will also take my new GoPro Max there. I already did a little testing but not much.

Hi there!
Received my Hero 8 yesterday... It‘s the worst GoPro I ever owned and it will go right back to the dealer. Why? In low light conditions there are horizontal lines running through your footage starting at ISO 800 and above. Joined by a really noisy picture.
Second: Photos in low light. Not sharp and completely blurry.
Compared to the Hero 7 and even Hero 6 there are lightyears inbetween.
Third: Front lens cover not exchangeable. I own a lot of GoPro’s and every Cam had a new lens cover glass over time. If you use them, they get scratched. That’s normal because they are made for action. As long as you are able to swap them you will always have perfect footage for the cost of about 17 bucks. With Hero 8 you‘re owned and will have to live with ugly lens flares coming from scratches. Very bad idea, having a fixed lens cover.

You can get a clear, protective cover for the lens, no big deal, if you scratch it, you can replace the protective "skin". GoPro is constantly upgrading the GPH8 firmware, they will address any and all of the issues. If you have a defective model, just exchange it. I love mine and I get incredible results.

Who decides what to bring to antartica? Its nobodys land, is it?

Also.

even if gopro would make a harness for hero 8 it wouldnt work in the oroginal grip stabilizer.
Heres why.

the hero 8 is already heavy as it is.
The hero 8 doesnt have an hdmi port that means they would need to make one that will line up with the usb-c alongside hdmi port.

that there will make it even bigger that the other heros and it will make it even more heavier.
Original gimbal will be too unbalance to make it even work at all.

That there means they would need to make a totaly new gimbal that has stronger motors that would fit inside the drone/grip.

Which will cost money to manufacture and will cost us consumers more money.
Which then will put us out of interest on upgrading a part just to make that part work in an old machine.

that also means gopro would go back rounds and rounds again to dealing with RMA and costumer service about an old product.

so the defenite answer would be.....
No.

Who decides what to bring to antartica? Its nobodys land, is it?

The International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) apparently. If you go there on a tour, you can't fly a drone for recreational reasons. Sounds like there is a way to get a "permit" for scientific research.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS