Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Hello from Kansas!

Lalaboi

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’ve been doing a lot of research on the karma and Mavric drone for recording and im stuck between the two. I have a gopro4 silver and I really enjoy the video quality and every thing. I do have some drone experience (Bugs 3, which has no gps, altitude and all of that other fancy screen , everything is manual pretty much). I can land and maneuver without any problems. Looking through the forum, it seems like a lot people are having issues with the karma but they’re usually from those who are “first timers.” What I’m asking is, with the newest Karma 2018 version, does anyone still have it and if so, would you recommend it? I really like the gopro6 video quality, gimbal and waterproof camera for diving over the Mavric Air. Not asking for people to bash on Karma and praise Mavric air. (I don’t plan on flying my drone out into space either).

Reactions: Billybob
Hi Lalaboi,

Well I'm a fairly new Karma owner and love it. I already had a Gopro Silver 4 and that was one of the deciding factors - hate having a good piece of gear and not using it often enough. I live in UK on the coast and like to fly there - frankly very little Wi-fi interference out on the cliffs.. barely a soul most days I fly! Having done a fair old bit of research the risk of interfernce is obviously higher in built up areas - not a factor for me.

The Karma is very easy to fly and I don't want to rely on colision avoidance etc.... to me it's fun to fly and a great camera platform. I have had zero issues so far ( about 4 hours airtime) and range is fine. Infact I've just fitted a range extender to a spare controller (yet to try it), but that's more out of academic interest as I want to minimise any potential problems as I gain experience and perhaps fly a bit further out. I stress I don't think it's necessary, but perhaps might add another layer of confidence! I'm interested in the technical side of things.

Realistic flight times for me are about 16/17 minutes per battery. I have three anyway, so happy with that. I switched to Master Airscrew props - quieter and adds a couple of minutes flight time to give that 17 minutes. It might not hover over an exact spot like some drones, but again I'm flying it.... not the sensors and it is very stable in the air and gives me the video I'm after. Don't forget you get that hand stabilizer with the package too.

At the end of the day I believe the choice comes down to what you want from a drone and where you are going to fly it. I can only speak as I find and I'm happy with the Karma.

Good luck.

Hi Lalaboi,

Well I'm a fairly new Karma owner and love it. I already had a Gopro Silver 4 and that was one of the deciding factors - hate having a good piece of gear and not using it often enough. I live in UK on the coast and like to fly there - frankly very little Wi-fi interference out on the cliffs.. barely a soul most days I fly! Having done a fair old bit of research the risk of interfernce is obviously higher in built up areas - not a factor for me.

The Karma is very easy to fly and I don't want to rely on colision avoidance etc.... to me it's fun to fly and a great camera platform. I have had zero issues so far ( about 4 hours airtime) and range is fine. Infact I've just fitted a range extender to a spare controller (yet to try it), but that's more out of academic interest as I want to minimise any potential problems as I gain experience and perhaps fly a bit further out. I stress I don't think it's necessary, but perhaps might add another layer of confidence! I'm interested in the technical side of things.

Realistic flight times for me are about 16/17 minutes per battery. I have three anyway, so happy with that. I switched to Master Airscrew props - quieter and adds a couple of minutes flight time to give that 17 minutes. It might not hover over an exact spot like some drones, but again I'm flying it.... not the sensors and it is very stable in the air and gives me the video I'm after. Don't forget you get that hand stabilizer with the package too.

At the end of the day I believe the choice comes down to what you want from a drone and where you are going to fly it. I can only speak as I find and I'm happy with the Karma.

Good luck.

Hey! I really appreciate for your honest input! I really appreciate it. The gimbal and hero6 is pulling me torwards the karma. Im planning on using it in the city and out of the country ! You mentioned that the drone is not that great due to too much WiFi interfenace? Does that mean it’s not safe to fly in the city at all?

Last edited:
Hey! I really appreciate for your honest input! I really appreciate it. The gimbal and hero6 is pulling me torwards the karma. Im planning on using it in the city and out of the country ! You mentioned that the drone is not that great due to too much WiFi interfenace? Does that mean it’s not safe to fly in the city at all?

7+ hours on my Karma. I have replaced one arm and 4 blades as result of doing an orbit around a house and just hitting tree that was slightly higher than I set altitude at but was behind house so I couldn’t judge it right.

I am using the external antennas described elsewhere here now to get a little more gain, just for additional safety margin. I fly in and out of “noisy” areas. I do not push distance, no need to. This is my arial picture taking platform. I also just switched to Master Airscrew blades and they are quieter and seem to give a little more flight time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lalaboi
Hi Lalaboi,

I'm not really the right person to comment on Wi-fi interference with the Karma as I've never had a problem - I fly in a remote area. My comment is just based on other postings I've read on this forum and elsewhere about possible range/wi-fi interference issues with the Karma. Suggest a really good browse to find other peoples thoughts on this.

I've had my Karma since February of this year and since have logged over 30 hours flight time so I have a bit of insight to share about some of the issues you have been discussing.
I've never had any wifi interference... I usually fly in remote areas but do fly in congested areas as well. Wifi Interference is not what you need to worry about with KARMA it's losing GPS. Without GPS Karma is basically uncontrollable and will drift in any direction quite rapidly. I personally have never lost GPS during a flight, however I have attempted to fly when GPS couldn't be acquired before take off and I don't recommend it. Also I have two controllers one stock and one with the
ITELITE RangePro range as well I've achieved a maximum distance of 2 miles with the range extender in a fairly unobstructed area and about a mile with the stock controller, however in my experience for some reason the range extender limits your altitude capabilities to about 2000 ft as apposed to about 4200 ft with the stock controller but everyone knows we shouldn't be flying that high anyway so it's kind of a moot point. Also I just got a set of master air screws and have noticed that my drone is now a lot faster in sport mode. I haven't noticed a change in battery life but I'll pay more attention next flight that would be awesome to get a bit more fight time.
Good luck!

Got the whole package in November 2017 and still love it. I have learned a lot since then, but still have a lot more to learn before I graduate out of beginner status. I use the camera, drone, and gimble all the time because it works. Motocross, MTB, Buildling Structures, Scenery, family/friends events. Edits with the Quik app are simple (phone version). Quik has some glitches but pretty awesome. I have gotten some great footage. The equipment works well as long as you know the limitations. I live in a big city, and can't get anywhere near the big airport. Karma wont even start. There are some areas I would like to shoot that I can't, but the DJI doesn't have the same issue. I also live in an area with a lot of interference/power lines. The Karma does not like that, so you need to be careful in those areas. I always calibrate the compass and altimeter when I fly in a different area which is almost every flight. Not that big of deal to calibrate. Other areas with no interference it flys like a dream and follow me, orbit, etc work well. Does pretty good in breezy conditions, but I don't take chances when its windy out. I use it for photos, and some video. I don't race it around. I'm no Pro, but the output of the equipment makes some people think I know what i am doing:) Would have been nice if the Karma stuck around but it is what it is, and still a great package deal.

So as of now, amazon and Best Buy, karma and gopro6 bundle is on sale for $849.99. I’m gonna try to call Best Buy to see if they are offering any bundles (extra battery and propellers). I have read to always fly with GPS connection ONLY. What happenes during mid flight if I lost GPS signal? Can I still fly it manually and take videos? (I have experience flying without GPS, maneuvering and landing without any problems). Will the drone try to pickup with GPS signal again?
I read people will still fly the drone after if they lose GPS. Is it possible for me to select to connect to GPS during flight if I lift off manually or is it either GPS or manual only option? (I hope this makes sense).

**Like I said, I’m not planing on flying out of sight ***

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy