Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

GPS Tracker

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of attaching a gps tracker to the karma?

I’ve ordered one and will feedback tomorrow when it arrives.

Hopefully some more re-assurance for fly always. (Which I’ve had the unfortunate luck of)

Ordered the following.
Mobile Home Page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a tile slim, fits in the battery (had to pop up the corner and slide it in). Not wanting to risk gps interference, so lemme know how yours goes.
Tile is bluetooth, once you're near it, the app will tell you. You need to be close enough so you can hear it's beep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: robertmcginily
Thanks for the reply. I had thought about Tile. But my concern with that was, my first drone flew miles away and tile would not help in that situation.

GPS interference has crossed my mind but I’m hoping I can set the tracker to only track GPS when I ping it from my phone and not constantly.

Will feedback soon. Hopefully not with a fly away report [emoji23]

Thanks for the reply. I had thought about Tile. But my concern with that was, my first drone flew miles away and tile would not help in that situation.

For the runaway problem I got a Hengda kite reel.

For finding in the rough: the tile.

For crashing... it's a work in progress.

IMO those bozos should have provided all this at the start. The competition did, and the competition is well, to be painfully honest, making Gopro all look like a bunch of donkey rears.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jnazario
First test flight with GPS tracker attached to the rear underside of Karma went perfectly.
Wish they would just enable tracking via the actual drone gps module.
But I’m reassured now for no more fly away nightmares.

ddf36645b506008f9c87d065102cb04e.jpg

First test flight with GPS tracker attached to the rear underside of Karma went perfectly.

that is wonderful. I will check the link when I am not on mobile

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: robertmcginily

Hi Robert, I am new to all of this stuff. I completely lost my Karma in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Maui a few weeks ago. I'm struggling with GoPro to make it right. Long story that you might have read with early posts. Anyways, how does this GPS tracking assure you of any future fly-a-ways? Doesn't it just help track and locate in the event of a fly-a-way...crash landing...land in position? Or does it truly prevent fly-a-ways? Also, what version of software are you using on your drown/controller?

Just wondering: how does the GPS tracker send data (I.e., the track) back to the phone app? In the pic, what is the scale of those red tracks?

The particular one I purchased, trackimo, uses a 3g cellular connection. There is also a BT functionality, like the tiles, to help you zero in on it when you get close. In answer to the other question, it doesn't keep the drone from flying away but helps increase the odds of you finding it, which is especially important in my case since I purchased the 2 yr replacement plan and need to be able to find the core device to utilize it. I also purchased the little float attached to a real that pops to the surface after a few minutes, attached to the device by filament. Not sure any of it would have helped with an ocean landing, though.

Interesting.... One concern I would have would be the inducement of RFI , between the trackimo and the drone. With gopro having the position of the runaways are due to "environmental effects" and adding esentially a cellphone TX device to the karma in extreme proximity, would that induce a disconnection from the controller and/or loss of the GPS signal (with the (karma)

You can set it to only transmit a location only when pinged by a phone app, or any other interval down to 1 min; however, I wouldn't bet there isn't any passive RFI even if it doesn't transmit. I am not totally happy as it seems to fall "asleep" when set to transmit at an interval and not update it's location unless I ping it again. Seem to be the most cost effective on the market though.

Reactions: CRXPanda

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS