Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

GoPro Karma recalled due to defects causing crashes

CAPTAINDRONE

Reaction score
GoPro just announced a recall of its first-ever drone, the $799 Karma. Approximately 2,500 Karma units sold since October 23rd (meaning all of them) are impacted. GoPro says “in a very small number of cases, Karma units lost power during operation.” Thus far, there have been no reports of injuries or property damage because of the defect.

Reactions: clackey
Karma Recall and Return Information

Last updated November 08, 2016

GoPro is committed to providing our customers with great product experiences. To honor this commitment, we have recalled Karma until we resolve a performance issue related to a loss of power during operation. We plan to resume shipment of Karma once the issue is addressed.

Return Instructions

If you already own Karma, follow these instructions to return your product for a full refund.

If you purchased from Best Buy or bestbuy.com:

Please contact Best Buy recall hotline at 1-800-566-7498 or visit online support here.

If you purchased from gopro.com:

Please contact customer support at 1-866-886-3001 or visit online support here.

FAQs

Q: Why is GoPro conducting this recall?

A: The recall was announced after we discovered that in a small number of cases, Karma units lost power during operation. We are investigating the issue and working in close coordination with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Federal Aviation Administration.

Q: Is there a recall on HERO5 Black or Karma Grip?

A: No. The recall is only for the Karma drone. HERO5 Black and Karma Grip are not subject to a recall. However, if you purchased the Karma drone bundle package, which included HERO5 Black and Karma Grip, you must return those with your Karma drone for a full refund.

Q: My Karma drone appears to be operating okay. Can I continue to use it?

A: No. Even though your Karma appears to be working fine, we are asking all customers to immediately stop using the product and participate in the recall. Refer to the Return Instructions section above.

Q: Can I exchange my Karma drone for one that is not affected?

A: No. We are recalling all Karma units and providing a full refund. We are investigating the issue and plan to make Karma available once it has been resolved.

Q: How do I return Karma?

A: Refer to the Return Instructions section above.

Q: What if I bought Karma at Best Buy or bestbuy.com?

A: All Karma drones bought at Best Buy or bestbuy.com should to be returned to Best Buy or bestbuy.com for a full refund. Refer to the Return Instructions section above.

Q: Will I receive a refund for Karma?

A: Yes. You will receive a refund for your purchase. All components included with the Karma drone bundle, including HERO5 Black and Karma Grip, must be returned for a full refund.

Q: Will I receive a refund for GoPro Care for Karma? And what if I bought accessories?

A: Yes. You will receive a refund for GoPro Care for Karma and any Karma-related accessories you may have purchased.

Q: I no longer have the receipt for the product. Can I still return it?

A: Yes. You can still return the product without a receipt.

Q: Do I have to return all the components received with the Karma drone if I purchased a Karma drone bundle?

A: Yes. Even though the recall is only for the Karma drone, all components included with the Karma drone bundle, including HERO5 Black and Karma Grip, must be returned for a full refund.

Well there goes any hopes of having one before xmas here in Canada... Really upsetting to see this happening... Was hoping for a solid platform... Maybe with the rerelease it will have a follow feature haha

Hey Captaindrone,will you be cancelling your preorder with B&H? They didn't even charge my card, so I'm not sure what I should do...

Well there goes any hopes of having one before xmas here in Canada... Really upsetting to see this happening... Was hoping for a solid platform... Maybe with the rerelease it will have a follow feature haha
Yup, I'm in Canada as well and I had pre-ordered one through B&H.

My guess is that they will take until the end of the year to regroup/retool. Then they will go in one of two directions:

Option #1. They will refurbish the returned units (they're not going in the trash) with the upgraded parts and new firmware and sell them along with newly manufactured units by mid January.

Option #2. They will add the follow me feature to the Karma and controller and also add a down facing sensor for indoor flight & still sell it at the previous price.

They've missed the Christmas season so they don't have to hurry. The big problem is that come January many companies will be announcing new drones for availability by end March. We all know the Phantom 5 will be released by March and DJI will do what they can to put GoPro out of business before they even get started. The GoPro is so yesterday's technology that GoPro has to use the time to make the Karma better.

Hey Captaindrone,will you be cancelling your preorder with B&H? They didn't even charge my card, so I'm not sure what I should do...
<sign> they charged my card.

If I cancel I lose about $100 on exchange rate.

My guess is this is the end for Karma. I don't think GoPro will launch it again. They might do a new smaller drone at some point, but I highly doubt that as well.

What, really? B&H didn't charge my card, and won't until they ship. Hmm.. well, that sucks.
If you order from outside the US they do this (kinda like DJI does). I wish they didn't but oh well.

My guess is this is the end for Karma. I don't think GoPro will launch it again. They might do a new smaller drone at some point, but I highly doubt that as well.

You may have a point. Considering all the financial losses that GoPro has taken in the past year, the Karma may just be the anchor that sinks the company (due to lack of world wide demand and competition from DJI and other drone manufacturers). So it's either produce something that sells in the millions or focus your attention on the Karma Grip and other devices for the GoPro camera (other than a drone).

Personally, I hope they take the chance and keep the Karma. Certainly it's big bulky and one of the most basic drones on the market, but it certainly had room to grow into something much more.

well that was an expensive debut !!!, shame really as some extra competition is always good for us the end user, but I agree with Capt Drone im not even sure we will see the Karma again unless its a very simple fix, so they either take the extensive R&D hit and manufacturing losses, or spend more doing it all over again, either way its not great news for gopro

It is sad to see happening. I still have high hopes for GoPro but time will tell. GoPro has gone on record stating that they plan to start shipping again once the problem is fixed. I do like the its "more than a drone" aspect. One of the main reasons I was going to go with it over the Mavic but now I may just buy a Mavic until the Karma is released...

So I recieved an email from B&H last night stating they are now taking preorders for the Karma. I am so conflicted... I was just about to pull the trigger on the mavic...

I received a notice that you could now pre-order the Karma battery.

I wonder if the original end month November shipment was always the shipment from the production run with the fixed parts????

The only way it would make sense is if GoPro was aware that the first 2500 units were defective and their lawyers advise that the only way to avoid being sue'd was to announce a 100% total recall.

It's a long shot theory wise. The only way to know if it is true is if units are shipped late November/early December.

Honestly, I don't expect any Karma to be shipped for several months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS