Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Finding out voltage of the Karma battery using a multimeter

Mokuluanui

Reaction score
Is there a chart of the contacts on the Karma battery that we can use a multimeter to check battery voltage? I would like to know the actual voltage and not just use the lights.

Great Kcharuso, but how did you measure that?

i bought one off my friend as it did not charged thinking i can fix it. i couldn't so i took it apart and measured stright from the terminals going into the control board from battery. however, terminals from the control board to the three sockets to the drone read zero volt. the board was bad and there is no way of fixing it. ill post pictures tomorrow to clearify the issue.

Reactions: Mokuluanui
I tried testing the middle and the side terminal, but got no reading.

there are black&red wire from the battery going into the board and out to the connector where it will interface with the drone. i haven't take any reading from the connector itself. i just went straight to the lead power wires.

Pictures as taken do not help much. The circuit card is part of a built in balance battery charger. One contact is common or ground, usually on an end of a connector but I have never seen a need to check a Karma battery yet. One contact is the main which is the other end of the battery cells, or battery pack, in series. The other contacts are individual cells. If using a volt meter, or a meter set to DC volts, you cannot short anything out as long as you touch each test lead to only one cell at a time. Depending on charge level the full pack will read around 14-16 volts and each cell around 3.5 to 4 volts. If you read nothing you are on 2 cell leads or a cell to main lead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ironspear
Pictures as taken do not help much. The circuit card is part of a built in balance battery charger. One contact is common or ground, usually on an end of a connector but I have never seen a need to check a Karma battery yet. One contact is the main which is the other end of the battery cells, or battery pack, in series. The other contacts are individual cells. If using a volt meter, or a meter set to DC volts, you cannot short anything out as long as you touch each test lead to only one cell at a time. Depending on charge level the full pack will read around 14-16 volts and each cell around 3.5 to 4 volts. If you read nothing you are on 2 cell leads or a cell to main lead.

i know the pictures don't help much and I didn't expexted to but there is a valid reason i took the pictures and dissembled the battery like so.

Gee wiz, didn’t mean to offend so easily. Somebody kept asking how to check voltage and was worried about shorting something out. Pictures dud not help with that. Just tried to help. Will refrain in future. Too many weirdos on here. Happy New Year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a chart of the contacts on the Karma battery that we can use a multimeter to check battery voltage? I would like to know the actual voltage and not just use the lights.

As a follow up, I did contact Go Pro about the use of a multimeter and they sent me a MSDS sheet on the battery. It didn't help much but there was a line in the sheet that warned about the use of a multimeter.

Attachments

• Use of Multimeter in the Karma Battery.jpg
    Use of Multimeter in the Karma Battery.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 28
If you know anything about multimeters the current function creates a way for current to flow thru the meter and if the lead is placed across two opposite poles of a lipo it just like a dead short. Nice warning, is very true.

there are black&red wire from the battery going into the board and out to the connector where it will interface with the drone. i haven't take any reading from the connector itself. i just went straight to the lead power wires.
Black and white

The pictures of the batteries seem to have been deleted. Can those be put back up? I would really like to see what they look like inside. I am wondering if as my batteries age if it will be possible to replace the cells in it to extend the life of my drone.

Hi all.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but this might be useful for anyone else with the same question.

After thoroughly taking apart a battery, I have figured out how to test the battery with a multimeter. When facing the battery port, the whole left port is positive, the whole middle on is negative and I'm not sure what the right port is but I think it has something to do with cell voltages.

I took mine apart because it wouldn't charge. Now I'm using the plain cells for a DIY drone I made.

FYI, Taking the casing and extras off the cells drops 100 grams of weight.

Hi all.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but this might be useful for anyone else with the same question.

After thoroughly taking apart a battery, I have figured out how to test the battery with a multimeter. When facing the battery port, the whole left port is positive, the whole middle on is negative and I'm not sure what the right port is but I think it has something to do with cell voltages.

I took mine apart because it wouldn't charge. Now I'm using the plain cells for a DIY drone I made.

FYI, Taking the casing and extras off the cells drops 100 grams of weight.
Do you have any steps for pulling apart the battery? With the 3DR Solo there is a procedure to pull apart the battery and replace the cells and then you can reused the battery and this is something i would like to look at doing with the Karma.

Does anyone in NZ have a dead battery that I can pay for the postage to get so i can pull it apart and see if the cells can be replaced?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS