Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Fell out of sky

ECWKarma

Reaction score
Well, just sent my relatively new Karma up for a simple sunset video, got a “battery error landing in place” warning and it dropped like a rock right out of the sky onto my backyard flagstone and everything, including the camera, is destroyed. Obviously will be calling GoPro in morning. I purchased in January, and GoPro better come through. Any suggestions, based on a similar experience?

I would open a case with GoPro support via chat and just be transparent about your experience. They’ll send you the big questionnaire along with instructions on how to upload flight logs. Given the battery error, this should be a relatively easy warranty claim.

I don’t think having GoPro Care would make a difference here since a defect caused the battery to become dead or disconnected.

Reactions: Shon
Well, just sent my relatively new Karma up for a simple sunset video, got a “battery error landing in place” warning and it dropped like a rock right out of the sky onto my backyard flagstone and everything, including the camera, is destroyed. Obviously will be calling GoPro in morning. I purchased in January, and GoPro better come through. Any suggestions, based on a similar experience?
Same thing happened to me during a shoot... fourth battery popped out. Dealt with customer service and they were really quick sending me a new drone and battery and blades.. my camera was fine as well as the gimble. I cant say enough how customer service was for me... I have the insurance and the deductible of 159.00 but since it wasn’t pilot error they are sending me a new one. They can have you send pictures of the damage and download your flight log ( controller acts like a black box from a plane). Then they can tell you what happened... good luck and let me know how it works out

Reactions: Billybob
Hello, is there a phone number to call GoPro? My Karma just fell out of the sky and is in pieces. Camera not working either.

Same thing happened to me during a shoot... fourth battery popped out. Dealt with customer service and they were really quick sending me a new drone and battery and blades.. my camera was fine as well as the gimble. I cant say enough how customer service was for me... I have the insurance and the deductible of 159.00 but since it wasn’t pilot error they are sending me a new one. They can have you send pictures of the damage and download your flight log ( controller acts like a black box from a plane). Then they can tell you what happened... good luck and let me know how it works out
I had the same experience with their customer service and they sent new everything to me. The one thing the customer service person emphasized is that I should calibrate before EVERY flight, even when taking off from the exact same spot. Mine was a battery error as well, and they determined the battery itself was defective.

Once again make sure your battery is fully charged before making any flight. Also do not push the limit on any flight, and try and keep it within a ten minute range. The Karma is not a racing machine, I use mine for survey style flights and gentle turns, climbs and descends steadily. It is a marvelous unit for what it was designed to do.

Reactions: Shon and Shred
Once again make sure your battery is fully charged before making any flight. Also do not push the limit on any flight, and try and keep it within a ten minute range. The Karma is not a racing machine, I use mine for survey style flights and gentle turns, climbs and descends steadily. It is a marvelous unit for what it was designed to do.
My battery was fully charged.. it was fully charged when it dropped from sky. It was the locking device of battery. They said it was a faulty engine. Either way great customer service

Reactions: Billybob
Follow up on my support... i said the support was great... now that they have my Karma and promised it would be back by now... im getting please check back in 24-48 hours.. i spent extra sending it overnight and they got it when it said it would arrive... i filled out the survey giving them all 10 except for a 9 and now i just redid the survey and gave them the lowest on everything with a long explanation... so everyone ready this.. GoPro Karma is great..but customer service even when you pay insurance and Karma Care is the worst... so for owning Karma ,fusion,two GoPro6’s a sessions doesn’t mean s#@t.... i will no longer tell anyone GoPro is good... Maybe if they get customer service in U.S.A. With People that speak good english and they understand what’s going on instead of reading a Que card service might get better... good luck everyone and happy flying... dont crash and if you do your better off glueing it back together...

Their support is pretty abysmal here in the states too lol

Update - it has now been 12 days and I have not received my replacement. Every time I check in, “5-7 days” is the answer.

When I had a relatively minor part that was defective, GoPro customer service told me that I would have a replacement in a week. Again, a week later I was told the same thing. Then again...the same thing! After the third week they finally told me the part was “out of stock” and they didn’t know when I would get it. Funny, I could have bought the part on Amazon for about 40 dollars, and had it shipped overnight.

I was nice to the customer service rep as I’m sure it was just their training, but I explained to them that people would be much less irate if they simple told the truth. By lying, they set unrealistic expectations. In my situatiion, I was going on a fairly expensive vacation, and had wanted to take my Karma with me. I might have paid for the missing part, rather than wait, had I known how long it would take.

I don’t think it quite took a month, but it was way too long. Had they originally told me it would take 30 days, i probably would not have been happy, but telling me it will come in a week, and then sending it a month later is even worse.

Took karma up to 650ft to get me above the tree line which is about 200ft away to set up for a sunset shot., as soon as it reached altitude the controller said "sensor error alert" and she tried to land in place, but as soon as it reached 630ft a prop broke and she fell straight into the earth. I want my money back this isn't reliable.

This is a bummer. I received my replacement last week and the turnaround as relatively quick but then the one they sent me was DOA and so I'm back at square one.

Unfortunately, no. I bought it from a third party (Adorama) and I'm past my 30 day return policy. I've actually asked GoPro just to cut me a check and they won't budge- I get replacement parts or a replacement drone only.

I've thought long and hard about whether just selling this thing if and when I get a working one. We'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS