Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Fear of Flying

Kevin Waters

Reaction score
After having the dreaded “compass error” problem and ending up with my Karma upside down in 6” of water. I find I am now fearful of flying my replacement drone. Is this just me or are other flyers suffering the same symptoms?

• Wow
Reactions: XerxesZ and SurfDog
After having the dreaded “compass error” problem and ending up with my Karma upside down in 6” of water. I find I am now fearful of flying my replacement drone. Is this just me or are other flyers suffering the same symptoms?

It’s a pretty common anxiety. People also have it when they get a new drone. It’s also similar to anxiety folks experience when they get into a serious accident ( car crash, boat accident, skiing accident, etc.).

The best way to handle this anxiety is to start small. If you are too anxious to even fly, start with the built in simulator on the controller. When you are able to control that anxiety, find a wide open field and practice there. You might just hover in place until you are comfortable, and eventually start practicing other skills until you are more comfortable and your anxiety is reduced. Eventually you make try flying near a shore line, and eventually a body of water.

Look up “Exposure Therapy” for more information on techniques used to manage anxiety.

I always fly with at least some anxiety hopefully it keeps me a bit more sharp, alert and less complacent.

If working through the issue is too much of a bother, I have seen many folks on this forum that have simply sold their replacement, because they just can’t trust their Karma. You certainly aren’t alone in your feelings.

Reactions: XerxesZ
Hi Shon

Thanks for the great advice. Going out again this evening. It’s perfect flying weather today. Little steps ??

Reactions: XerxesZ and Shon
Right there with you! I have been able to get her back every time but it's always in the back of your mind. Remember when I first got it and would take it up to 300+ feet - I think I max out at 100' now. :O/

Reactions: XerxesZ and Shon
First off let it hover after take off, if it wanders bring it down and re set your GPS in a different location as there maybe a interfering magnetic source nearby.

My experience and opinion on this issue is trying to fly karma always in manual mode, because karma is controlled by you and you can react immediately if something happened, also your skill can be improved quicker in this mode, the automatic function like dronie, orbit, cable etc., are maneuvered by karma itself with the software, when something happened it will have less chance to get the control back to you if you are not a master pilot with experience.

Last edited:
That is right James ShIh, You are the pilot and you are in control at all times. Those auto programmes are alright when you are in an area free of obstructions like trees ect!

If you you still have fear of flying, may I suggest that you put more time on the controller with the practise programme. After all that is why it was added by GoPro!

I use the practice flying software regularly. But it does not prepare you for the “compass error” message and the drone deciding to do what it wants. Before crashing and ending up in 6” of water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS