Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Error Msg: Unable to Takeoff - RESOLVED!

simon-riley

Reaction score
This is our second replacement Karma and both have the same error msg. "Unable to Takeoff..." and the power button on the drone is blinking red. When we hold down the start bttn, the countdown starts, and then nothing. The motors/propellors don't start and we receive the error message.

We have:
  • Rebooted multiple times
  • Did a reset to factory settings on the controller
  • Paired the devices over again
  • checked and all software is up to date
  • made sure GPS is acquired
  • charged all the devices
  • tested the stabilizers with the Karma Grips and they worked
  • switched propellors
GoPro support has now escalated this to their "engineer team"... We should hear something from them in a few days. We were wondering if anybody else had this error message?

This is our second replacement Karma and both have the same error msg. "Unable to Takeoff..." and the power button on the drone is blinking red. When we hold down the start bttn, the countdown starts, and then nothing. The motors/propellors don't start and we receive the error message.

We have:
  • switched propellors
GoPro support has now escalated this to their "engineer team"... We should hear something from them in a few days. We were wondering if anybody else had this error message?
I have the same problem.

Reactions: simon-riley
I have the same problem.

Any resolution?

An update to my issue: the “engineers” reviewed my flight logs and informed me the error msg is due to one of the drone arm cords being disconnected. Some BS they made up. So the supervisor had me unscrew the landing gear legs off and I had to check the connections where the arms are. Of course everything was attached just fine. He had me put everything back, recalibrate again, and still same error.

So now they are supposed to be sending me a replacement drone, controller, and battery. I also bitched and complained so much that they sent me a free battery for my inconvenience as well.

We will see how the THIRD replacement acts next week. Smh. This is a nightmare that just won’t end.

Maybe your in a no fly zone area that ehy your drone wont start. Just my 2cents

Maybe your in a no fly zone area that ehy your drone wont start. Just my 2cents

You get a separate message you acknowledge to be able to fly. Is not a hidden lock out, no error message.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have:
  • switched propellors
I have the same problem with a replacement , support acts like it is a unheard of issue. Karma support is the worst.

Im getting the same issue as well.

I replaced the Karma through GoPro Care after an incident. The original unit worked flawlessly until it got destroyed. I never updated that one to the current software version either. The replacement unit was sent to me and pairs just fine with the controller. I updated all devices to the most recent firmware (2.00 i think) and took it for a test flight. Before the first flight I did the calibration which became one of the most frustrating experiences I have had with the Karma Drone outside of wrecking my first drone. Once it was calibrated I attempted to fly it. Upon hitting the start-stop button it began to countdown. The motors did not start and at the end of the countdown the dreaded error message comes up: "Unable to take off, Reboot and try again. Contact support if problem persists."

I tried everything the OP tried to get it to work with no success. After calling and dealing with GoPro, I uploaded the flight logs and the "tech" said he would give me a call later in the day to follow up. I received no such call and called them back at the end of the day. The new person said am currently in line for review (which Im sure wont happen until the following week). Anyways, to say the least my experience with technical support has been much less than satisfying.

Based on my experience though, Im almost certain this is a software issue and has nothing to do with the hardware. Lets see what GoPro says.

Last edited:
Any resolution?

An update to my issue: the “engineers” reviewed my flight logs and informed me the error msg is due to one of the drone arm cords being disconnected. Some BS they made up. So the supervisor had me unscrew the landing gear legs off and I had to check the connections where the arms are. Of course everything was attached just fine. He had me put everything back, recalibrate again, and still same error.

So now they are supposed to be sending me a replacement drone, controller, and battery. I also bitched and complained so much that they sent me a free battery for my inconvenience as well.

We will see how the THIRD replacement acts next week. Smh. This is a nightmare that just won’t end.

Update: well I have received my THIRD replacement yesterday. They replaced the core, the controller, the battery, and the stabilizer.

I updated all the software, calibrated everything, GPS was found, and then the controller gave me the “ready to fly” message. I pressed the start button... 3, 2, 1.... “unable to f*ckin takeoff”

This is definitely a software issue. There is no way that THREE replacements are having the same issue. Especially with the other products being replaced as well (battery, controller, etc).

At this point, I don’t even feel like dealing with customer support which seems to only be available in the Philippines.

More to come.... unfortunately.

If they send you another one, try flying it without updating the software. Im curious to see if it will work.

Ill try doing the same if they send me another one.

If they send you another one, try flying it without updating the software. Im curious to see if it will work.

Ill try doing the same if they send me another one.

Actually that was our original plan when they sent this third replacement... we wasnt going to update the software however, the controller wouldn’t let me proceed to the next screen without updating the devices to the most recent software.

And to provide an update: we called GoPro today. Spent over an hour on the phone. Escalated to a supervisor who said she will forward our case to the engineers because this has to be a software issue. Obviously we couldn’t send any flight logs because the drone never took flight. We have asked that at this point, we want either a refund or a credit to receive a brand new Karma drone. She said we have to see what the engineers come back and say. Follow up call is scheduled for Monday... will keep everyone posted. But I had her review and read back to me every single time we have called so she can understand how and why we are frustrated and we are now at a total of 16 calls with EACH one being over an hour long.

Of course GoPro would force the updates on you. Thats unfortunate.

I noticed something weird on my Karma toady. While fiddling around with it, I noticed if I put the controller right next to the drone (literally touching), the power light goes from flashing red to flashing green. Are you experiencing the same?

Im getting the same issue as well.

I replaced the Karma through GoPro Care after an incident. The original unit worked flawlessly until it got destroyed. I never updated that one to the current software version either. The replacement unit was sent to me and pairs just fine with the controller. I updated all devices to the most recent firmware (2.00 i think) and took it for a test flight. Before the first flight I did the calibration which became one of the most frustrating experiences I have had with the Karma Drone outside of wrecking my first drone. Once it was calibrated I attempted to fly it. Upon hitting the start-stop button it began to countdown. The motors did not start and at the end of the countdown the dreaded error message comes up: "Unable to take off, Reboot and try again. Contact support if problem persists."

I tried everything the OP tried to get it to work with no success. After calling and dealing with GoPro, I uploaded the flight logs and the "tech" said he would give me a call later in the day to follow up. I received no such call and called them back at the end of the day. The new person said am currently in line for review (which Im sure wont happen until the following week). Anyways, to say the least my experience with technical support has been much less than satisfying.

Based on my experience though, Im almost certain this is a software issue and has nothing to do with the hardware. Lets see what GoPro says.
Update: well I have received my THIRD replacement yesterday. They replaced the core, the controller, the battery, and the stabilizer.

I updated all the software, calibrated everything, GPS was found, and then the controller gave me the “ready to fly” message. I pressed the start button... 3, 2, 1.... “unable to f*ckin takeoff”

This is definitely a software issue. There is no way that THREE replacements are having the same issue. Especially with the other products being replaced as well (battery, controller, etc).

At this point, I don’t even feel like dealing with customer support which seems to only be available in the Philippines.

More to come.... unfortunately.

Keep in mind the so called tech support has very little actual go pro or karma expertise. After a week of jumping through hoops trying to get a replacement for my replacement. I grabbed the original stabilizer that I had not yet sent back and everything worked fine I tested it this weekend twice with no issues!

Actually that was our original plan when they sent this third replacement... we wasnt going to update the software however, the controller wouldn’t let me proceed to the next screen without updating the devices to the most recent software.

And to provide an update: we called GoPro today. Spent over an hour on the phone. Escalated to a supervisor who said she will forward our case to the engineers because this has to be a software issue. Obviously we couldn’t send any flight logs because the drone never took flight. We have asked that at this point, we want either a refund or a credit to receive a brand new Karma drone. She said we have to see what the engineers come back and say. Follow up call is scheduled for Monday... will keep everyone posted. But I had her review and read back to me every single time we have called so she can understand how and why we are frustrated and we are now at a total of 16 calls with EACH one being over an hour long.

Update: reminder - we were supposed to receive a follow up call today from a supervisor. Of course we didn't receive one.

We ended up calling GoPro again. Now this is call #17. We were literally on the phone for 1 hr and 36 mins. Basically, we were told that they have no idea why the supervisor didn't call back. We asked to speak to another supervisor and was told that all the supervisors were in a meeting. The representative basically admitted to us on the phone that GoPro is aware of this issue. Internally, it is considered a known issue and GoPro is providing troubleshooting steps to their employees to try to perform to resolve the issue. If the troubleshooting steps don't work - then they send out a replacement.

So I asked them what happens after you receive multiple replacements with the EXACT ISSUE. The rep of course started stuttering and couldn't provide an actual answer. She talked in circles and basically put it all on the "engineers". Apparently, the engineers get the last word on how to resolve this issue. When we asked what was the status of our case that was supposed to be forwarded on Saturday, she only said that the case is still opened.

I honestly feel that they are waiting on a software to fix this issue meanwhile the customers are sitting here frustrated.

I promise this is the last GoPro item I will ever purchase. We pay too much money on these cameras, drones, and accessories to receive this type of treatment. For them to know that this is a known issue and keep giving us the runaround feels like a slap in the face.

Keep in mind the so called tech support has very little actual go pro or karma expertise. After a week of jumping through hoops trying to get a replacement for my replacement. I grabbed the original stabilizer that I had not yet sent back and everything worked fine I tested it this weekend twice with no issues!

Glad yours is working! Unfortunately, I sent my original stabilizer back already. :-(

Of course GoPro would force the updates on you. Thats unfortunate.

I noticed something weird on my Karma toady. While fiddling around with it, I noticed if I put the controller right next to the drone (literally touching), the power light goes from flashing red to flashing green. Are you experiencing the same?

That sounds like something different. I'm not experiencing that. The red light on my drone stays red regardless of where the controller is. GoPro admitted today that it is a known software issue.

So I spoke with GoPro Support again after not hearing from them for several days. They asked me for the serial number of the stabilizer and if I was able to tilt the stabilizer prior to flight, which I am unable to do. I think they are pinpointing this issue to the stabilizer software. The stabilizer seems to work fine otherwise, including in the Karma grip.

The light on the karma seems to be an issue with the controller, either with interference or software. The controller indicates that the drone is 25 ft away while standing only a few feet away. Ive read several issues with the GPS after the update as well which I believe to be related.

Anyways, GoPro promised to follow up with me in 24-48 hours. Im not holding my breath. Im very disappointed with the Karma Support, especially for how much this unit costs.

Hello everyone,

Few days ago I bought the Karma with gopro hero 6. After unboxing and preparing to fly I found the same problem like simon-riley. The error msg "Unable to take off ....."

Unfortunately, I have also found a problem with the karma grip (buttons don't work). I tried the hard reset and calibration without results.

After reading this topic I hope that finally somebody will get a reasonable answer from the customer support. Now it looks like the gopro doesn't know what is going on with their own devices ;/

Hi everyone - I too suffered from the "UNABLE TO TAKE OFF" error and I can attest, GoPro customer service is bad. Really bad. I found this forum after searching endlessly online and calling / chatting with GP reps for hours.

GP's initial solution was to hard reset every piece of the system. That didn't work. Their next solution was to do a manual reset of the GoPro Hero 5 Black itself. That didn't work. After telling them all of that was not working, the unknowledgeable rep went back to their handy dandy playbook and got me to do the hard reset of every piece again...kind of like being asked if the battery is in the camera...incredibly frustrating to say the least. I hung up.

But...GOOD NEWS: I found a solution...as some of you guessed it, the problem is with the stabilizer. The way I know this is that I just enjoyed my first successful flight after the crash of my original Karma Drone and arrival of its replacement with the constant "Unable to Take Off" errors. With the GP replacement, I've had more issues with both the grip and the drone than ever before (more seriously with the drone since it couldn't even fly...the grip just gave issues with a bottom red light and white light on top with the stabilizer not responding until pressing the bottom battery button of the grip sometimes). I couldn't figure it out and also thought it was software.

Fortunately, I trusted my gut and did not send back my broken parts until making sure the replacement parts work...which they did not. I'm still within my 30-day return window and will push that until after a few more successful flights.

On my initial GP Care Call: I asked to receive a replacement stabilizer even though it worked fine with the grip after the crash, mostly because it had cosmetic damage after it's crash that exposed the side wiring (thinking it might ultimately have damage that isn't immediately noticeable).

It didn't cross my mind until today to try out the old stabilizer and not the new one GoPro sent until after reading this thread. I replaced the new stabilizer with the old one and after Compass Calibration I enjoyed the sweet sound of props spinning and my Karma taking off.

I'm not sure if this will be an easy solution for Karma owners, but hopefully it will give you some more direction with where to point your frustration and efforts for replacement with GP.

Aside from this, I really have enjoyed the Karma system - especially the Grip!

Best,

AO
Draft Agency

We have:
  • switched propellors

You are in a no fly area. In certain areas around airports and other sites such as power plants and substations Karma will not start or take off.
There is an app called B4youfly that will help identify these areas.

You are in a no fly area. In certain areas around airports and other sites such as power plants and substations Karma will not start or take off.
There is an app called B4youfly that will help identify these areas.
That is a different warning. Im pretty sure that this would also show up in the flight logs that were uploaded to GoPro. Since I am a career pilot, I am well aware of the local airspace and restricted areas. I am nowhere near those areas and it still wont let me fly. This is a software glitch.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS