Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Error Msg: Unable to Takeoff - RESOLVED!

After waiting more than a week, GoPro's "engineers" have decided to replace my controller, Karma drone, and the stabilizer. Based on previous reports, I am not very hopeful this will work. If I get the same message I may purchase another Karma grip and rob the stabilizer for the drone to see if I am able to takeoff.

Of course GoPro would force the updates on you. Thats unfortunate.

I noticed something weird on my Karma toady. While fiddling around with it, I noticed if I put the controller right next to the drone (literally touching), the power light goes from flashing red to flashing green. Are you experiencing the same?
I had the same issue with unable to take off and then I put the controller next to the drone and light went from flashing red to green. Then when I remove controller, back to flashing red! Gopro sent me a Shipping Label and ask me to send it back (Everything this time) not just the drone core. Also, this time it’s going to California instead of Kentucky. This is the third drone I sent out to them.

Update: reminder - we were supposed to receive a follow up call today from a supervisor. Of course we didn't receive one.

We ended up calling GoPro again. Now this is call #17. We were literally on the phone for 1 hr and 36 mins. Basically, we were told that they have no idea why the supervisor didn't call back. We asked to speak to another supervisor and was told that all the supervisors were in a meeting. The representative basically admitted to us on the phone that GoPro is aware of this issue. Internally, it is considered a known issue and GoPro is providing troubleshooting steps to their employees to try to perform to resolve the issue. If the troubleshooting steps don't work - then they send out a replacement.

So I asked them what happens after you receive multiple replacements with the EXACT ISSUE. The rep of course started stuttering and couldn't provide an actual answer. She talked in circles and basically put it all on the "engineers". Apparently, the engineers get the last word on how to resolve this issue. When we asked what was the status of our case that was supposed to be forwarded on Saturday, she only said that the case is still opened.

I honestly feel that they are waiting on a software to fix this issue meanwhile the customers are sitting here frustrated.

I promise this is the last GoPro item I will ever purchase. We pay too much money on these cameras, drones, and accessories to receive this type of treatment. For them to know that this is a known issue and keep giving us the runaround feels like a slap in the face.

Hi all - following up here.

Of course, we never received a phone call back from anyone at GoPro. I decided to call back today after reviewing some of your responses.

I was on the phone today for only 45 mins instead of the usual 90 mins... Whoo hoo!

Long story short, the customer service rep, Pierce, told me that my case was still open for the "Unable to Takeoff" message. He said the "resolution" for this issue is replacing the stabilizer. He mentioned that the engineers confirmed that there was a bad batch of stabilizers being sent out which was causing the error. They are saying it was hardware related vs software. Whatever the case is, they are sending out another stabilizer that should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. I didn't even have the energy to fight with him as to why I never received a follow up call, especially since they can see that my case is still open and unresolved.

Needless to say, I will test out the replacement stabilizer and will follow up with everyone next week! Hopefully with some good news.

Needless to say, I will test out the replacement stabilizer and will follow up with everyone next week! Hopefully with some good news.

Hey there! Following up as promised.

So, we received our replacement stabilizer in the mail today. We went through the process of calibrating everything and GPS was found. Then we crossed our fingers and pressed the start/stop button for 3 secs. 3... 2... 1... NO ERROR MESSAGE!!!! The motor started and the propellers were finally working. I was able to fly the Karma drone with no issues. Finally!! (and I didn't care if it was only 30 degrees outside today lol)

Even though this process took 2 freakin months to resolve, I am just glad that it is finally over. After all the phone calls and escalating to supervisors, we were able to get 3 "courtesy" batteries from them! So now we have a total of 4 batteries! Which is great because now we can fly over an hour without having to worry about charging the battery after a 20 min flight session.

If you have the Unable To Takeoff message, GoPro was finally able to determine it was a bad batch of stabilizers causing the issue. I recommend calling GoPro and start the replacement process. Maybe you can escalate and will score a couple of batteries yourselves.

Hope this helps... take care all!
Simon-Riley

After waiting more than a week, GoPro's "engineers" have decided to replace my controller, Karma drone, and the stabilizer. Based on previous reports, I am not very hopeful this will work. If I get the same message I may purchase another Karma grip and rob the stabilizer for the drone to see if I am able to takeoff.
Yep I received my new one today all components. Worked Great Flew like a bird. I think I am even receiving better gps signal. It only took 2 months though. But glad to have it back in air.

Thank goodness I found this post,my refur b karma. Is doing same thing and care center reps are all pretty much green. They had me thinking it was no fly related , so I loaded big bird up and drove over 20 miles trying to get motors to arm ,always with same message " unable to start motors reboot if this doesn't work contact care. .....so after a horrible weekend of frustration at least I have success in sight.. Wish me luck.....

Just to be clear , Legally ( by law ) you can’t “take off “ closer than 5 miles away from airport or power towers , national parks , etc, ( without an authorization , but the drone is perfectly able to fly, , now always when before to fly you have to check GPS signal to be safe , so be close to the airport is not the reason for the message , thing is when you’re trying to fly , for example, in a populated area, is too probable to have a signal interference problem, which result and almost 90% crash or not responsive issues , it happens to me , flying rigth next to very famous Sepulveda Damm , one of the first flight, cause the drone in the air not respond to a controller and after that crash. So at the end fly next to the airport doesn’t mean you can’t fly , means you should not take off, hope this tip work for you

Just to be clear , Legally ( by law ) you can’t “take off “ closer than 5 miles away from airport or power towers , national parks , etc, ( without an authorization , but the drone is perfectly able to fly, , now always when before to fly you have to check GPS signal to be safe , so be close to the airport is not the reason for the message , thing is when you’re trying to fly , for example, in a populated area, is too probable to have a signal interference problem, which result and almost 90% crash or not responsive issues , it happens to me , flying rigth next to very famous Sepulveda Damm , one of the first flight, cause the drone in the air not respond to a controller and after that crash. So at the end fly next to the airport doesn’t mean you can’t fly , means you should not take off, hope this tip work for you.

Pd : other tip you guys can use is switch the camera sometime camera get damage in the ports causing no comunication between drone and controller also happen to me with my first karma not able to take off, no even turn on propellers, borrow camera from a friend and , voilá issue resolved

Attachments

• 615AEF37-3052-4507-809F-0AD2543C9027.jpeg
    615AEF37-3052-4507-809F-0AD2543C9027.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 6

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS