Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Did i make a mistake?

cw3ml9245

Reaction score
Ok, i am completely new to the drone arena and am stoked about this as a new hobby but before i ever buy anything i research the heck out of it. I've read amazing amounts of horror stories about the Karma, but as a new pilot(?) i really liked the simplicity it offers to a newbie compared to something like the Mavic Pro. It seems after looking at countless amounts of footage, a majority of the flyaways were in residential areas or built up industrial areas where corrupted signals seemed plausible. I plan on being in an open area miles away from any type of electronic interference but am still leery about losing a +$1000 investment. Am i being paranoid about flying this? Does anyone have a percentage ratio of amount sold to ones that have issues? 1%? 5% 10%? I don't plan on spending my entire flying time miles away from civilization, eventually after lots of practice i'd like to get some footage around my home but am not only concerned about crashing or a flyaway due to a software or hardware issue but the legal ramnifications if there was a property or personal injury issue. Do you insure these under a homeowners policy or some type of liability insurance? Thanks, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Ok, i am completely new to the drone arena and am stoked about this as a new hobby but before i ever buy anything i research the heck out of it. I've read amazing amounts of horror stories about the Karma, but as a new pilot(?) i really liked the simplicity it offers to a newbie compared to something like the Mavic Pro. It seems after looking at countless amounts of footage, a majority of the flyaways were in residential areas or built up industrial areas where corrupted signals seemed plausible. I plan on being in an open area miles away from any type of electronic interference but am still leery about losing a +$1000 investment. Am i being paranoid about flying this? Does anyone have a percentage ratio of amount sold to ones that have issues? 1%? 5% 10%? I don't plan on spending my entire flying time miles away from civilization, eventually after lots of practice i'd like to get some footage around my home but am not only concerned about crashing or a flyaway due to a software or hardware issue but the legal ramnifications if there was a property or personal injury issue. Do you insure these under a homeowners policy or some type of liability insurance? Thanks, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Verifly app for liability insurance. Super easy and convenient.

I own the Karma, Mavic, Spark and SOLO ---only one year into flying Quads --- the Karma is the most straightforward and convenient to fly out of the four I own, I just LOVE integrated controller & display! Id pay big bucks for a DJI version!

It's a great drone to start with and if you are careful and fly in unpopulated areas you will be fine.

I highly suggest learning to fly it without GPS as well with the help.
If you are confident in controlling the quad manually you will be fine if loses GPS.

Important to understand this is a super high tech hobby and these quads are complex. There are going to be failures --regardless of being DJI, GoPro or whatever. Just be as responsible as possible to avoid bad incidents.

Yes, Get GP Care !
Happy Flying

That'd be a great plan if GPS could be manually disabled. At the moment, it cannot be disabled manually.

Verifly app for liability insurance. Super easy and convenient.
To clarify, I was answering the question about LIABILITY insurance. What happens if your drone flies away in NYC and, I don't know, runs into a helicopter ? Or, more likely, your drone veers off and hits someone, cutting them badly. Verifly, for as little as $10 can give you liabilty insurance on a per flight basis and provide certificates for add'l insured, etc etc. I was impressed.

I have GoPro care for my drone.

Hello,
If you are still in the decision making stage, here is my experience:
I have the Karma and have flown it maybe a dozen times. Sometimes it works flawlessly, but most recently it had a mid of it's own and would not respond to any controller input, crashed, and completely destroyed itself and the Hero5. I purchased GoPro care so I will be getting a replacement. My plan is to sell it or return it once I get it and purchase a DJI. GoPro customer service is horrible on top of the problems with the drone flying away uncontrollably. My opinion, don't get the Karma.

You can buy insurance from State Farm $60.00 per year no deductible that cover you for damage, worth the money

I have a Phantom 4 Pro and the Karma. I am in the middle of deciding which one to take back and I keep feeling like I wanna keep both! I just love the Karma package. Backpack ready. It's awe4some. I do not like Go Pro cameras. I hate the curve and if you switch to linear, it's lower Rez. Fix in post? to a point, but still it ain't Phantom quality. However, ya never know when GoPro will release a new camera that does linear at 4k and that could make the Karma the perfect drone for videography under a grand!

I own the Karma, Mavic, Spark and SOLO ---only one year into flying Quads --- the Karma is the most straightforward and convenient to fly out of the four I own, I just LOVE integrated controller & display! Id pay big bucks for a DJI version!

It's a great drone to start with and if you are careful and fly in unpopulated areas you will be fine.

If you are confident in controlling the quad manually you will be fine if loses GPS.

Important to understand this is a super high tech hobby and these quads are complex. There are going to be failures --regardless of being DJI, GoPro or whatever. Just be as responsible as possible to avoid bad incidents.

Yes, Get GP Care !
Happy Flying

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS