Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

DEAR Karma users ! I need advices from real users !

Moteev

Reaction score
Hello all! I have seen so many bad reviews of the karma but I can't think of anything else since we get a 2 in 1 with the gimbal and the drone... and also using our gopro for linear footage to edit.

What are you guys experiences in terms of limitations and drivability? Any skyfall nightmares or anything? I want to mostly use my drone for family filming point of views and bring it in vacations.

I want to hear good reviews about it from real users please !!!

By the way, I am about to buy it in 2 days !

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Hi there and welcome!

I have never had a single issue, except losing GPS lock once. I also am very cautious, I always calibrate the compas and accelerometer each time I fly. I also wait a full minute after everything is paired to make sure I have a solid GPS lock.

I always keep in mind I have the equivalent of 2.5 car payments in the air.... Thats a sobering thought!
Check out my posts, you will see what a time I have been having for a year and a half with "Karmie".

Thank you for the warm welcome but not just yet ! In 2 days hehe. Thanks for the advice aswell... I wonder if I should buy another gopro cheaper like the gp5 for the karma alone... or with my actual gp7b will still take better shots anyways.

I will try to be carefull and I will look at your posts for sure ! Im very new to the drone world and I will need every REAL advices I can from real users and not vloggers on youtube hehe!

Thanks again!

I purchased my refurbished kit back in February and use the Karma with a GPH7B. I upgraded the firmware with everything, read the very small manual and started practicing with the Karma. I've had nothing but success with the outfit, even took it with me to Spain and flew it around the coast and off the top of mountains. You do need to understand what the limitations are to the Karma. As long as you understand that you can't rely on sensors, you'll be ok, it's no different than any other "all manual" drone like the Yuneec Q500 4K.

It is unnerving to fly something that is expensive $ out over cliffs and the ocean for the first time, but since I pay for the GoPro Plus program, I quickly got over my fear of losing everything. Only a couple of times have I noticed a glitch in my video signal when I had the drone out over the ocean, but it was only momentarily. The biggest issue I've faced is having the drone nearly attacked by Vultures in Spain. I'm taking it out today to try "follow me" mode. I've very happy with my purchase !!

Reactions: XerxesZ
Thank you for the warm welcome but not just yet ! In 2 days hehe. Thanks for the advice aswell... I wonder if I should buy another gopro cheaper like the gp5 for the karma alone... or with my actual gp7b will still take better shots anyways.

I will try to be carefull and I will look at your posts for sure ! Im very new to the drone world and I will need every REAL advices I can from real users and not vloggers on youtube hehe!

Thanks again!

For
Hello all! I have seen so many bad reviews of the karma but I can't think of anything else since we get a 2 in 1 with the gimbal and the drone... and also using our gopro for linear footage to edit.

What are you guys experiences in terms of limitations and drivability? Any skyfall nightmares or anything? I want to mostly use my drone for family filming point of views and bring it in vacations.

Thanks

Alex

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Thanks

Alex

These things are buggy ,but it’s a great value and your not spending thousands . Your going to have issues no matter what you purchase , To me part of the fun is figuring out what it can do .. and it’s up to you to fly within what your drone is capable of and don’t push it . ... The weak point for my Karma is signal .

I purchased a signal booster , it does make a big difference in all my experience. I never loose a signal now and can fly thousands of feet . Not recommended of coarse however if you can see it , you can fly it. it stays connected and have control . I use to get about 400 feet away and it would always return home but only when I would let go of controls , as soon as I touch a joystick I would regain control . This solved a lot of issues for me .

I have owned several and I like this the best for all the reasons . Good luck , you will have a lot of fun with the karma ..and if you do have unfortunate issue parts are easy to get !

Reactions: XerxesZ

Thanks

Alex

I have had the Karma for two years and use it as a video platform. I plan what I am doing with it ahead of time, keep it within view, and most
important, I do not use it as a toy. There are other drones that are cheaper that can be used for crash drones. I like the drone - wish GoPro was
still in the drone business.

I was crazy about the Karma until one day it took off and was never found. GoPro questioned me and learned that I flew it slow and mostly for recording video and that I was experienced. After a week or two they replaced the drone, camera, gimbal and battery. This second drone I was almost afraid to fly for fear it might happen again. However I did fly it close and carefully and on Feb 17 2020 right after lift off it took off at high speed. After several tries to gain control I released the controller sticks hoping that would stop and just hover but that did not stop it. I believe it was within two hundred yards when the screen went black and showed connection lost. Now I had no visual contact and it became my second flyaway.
GoPro was great at the first replacement! When I called this time I did not want a drone. I have a Karma case, controller, extra battery, filters, propellers, Karma stick but no gimbal, etc. but every single item is worthless. All I asked for in replacement of what I know was flyaway Karma, that replaced another flyaway Karma was either a gimbal or a hero 6 camera. No dice, in spite of what amounts to dozens and dozens of flyaways, maybe hundreds? Some cases are the fault of the person in control, but we know Karma has a flyaway problem.
The did offer me 20% off own a Hero8. If I at least had just a reconditioned gimbal, I could buy a camera to go with it.

I was crazy about the Karma until one day it took off and was never found. GoPro questioned me and learned that I flew it slow and mostly for recording video and that I was experienced. After a week or two they replaced the drone, camera, gimbal and battery. This second drone I was almost afraid to fly for fear it might happen again. However I did fly it close and carefully and on Feb 17 2020 right after lift off it took off at high speed. After several tries to gain control I released the controller sticks hoping that would stop and just hover but that did not stop it. I believe it was within two hundred yards when the screen went black and showed connection lost. Now I had no visual contact and it became my second flyaway.
GoPro was great at the first replacement! When I called this time I did not want a drone. I have a Karma case, controller, extra battery, filters, propellers, Karma stick but no gimbal, etc. but every single item is worthless. All I asked for in replacement of what I know was flyaway Karma, that replaced another flyaway Karma was either a gimbal or a hero 6 camera. No dice, in spite of what amounts to dozens and dozens of flyaways, maybe hundreds? Some cases are the fault of the person in control, but we know Karma has a flyaway problem.
The did offer me 20% off own a Hero8. If I at least had just a reconditioned gimbal, I could buy a camera to go with it.

The GPHero 8 camera doesn't work with the Karma Grip/Gimbal and for what it's worth, the stabilization is so good, you really don't need a stabilizer grip. I purchased a reconditioned Karma Kit from GoPro last year in February or March from GoPro, updated all of the firmware and never really had a single problem with it, even took it to Spain and flew out over off of the Northern Coast over the ocean and never had any issues with the system. I sold my system recently because I'm moving up to a more pro drone. I don't know how anyone can have back to back fly away episodes, I wonder if your controller wasn't bad in some way. Were you flying around concrete embedded with rebar? Did you modify your system in some way? Concrete with embedded rebar caused some issues with mine.

I'm a new user, I really love my Karma. It's a full sized drone that folds down to fit into a standard backpack. Having said that, I did have a compass interference issue with my Karma and I believe that if I had listened to the Karma, I would have not had the problem. In areas with a lot of wifi, that could interfere with the Karma and its controller, so when it asks you to move to a different location, you should and not just a little away like I did. I made a short video of this incident and how to avoid this problem in the future:

Later I moved to a different park and I did not get a notice to move to a different location and it flew very nicely, nice enough to complete my video:

So heed the sage advice from the controller and you should be fine.

Reactions: Ironspear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS