Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Crashed my Karma

Phobos

Reaction score
Hi folks!

After many hours of fun with my GoPro Karma, I crashed it for the first time yesterday. I just wanted to perform a short flight because the weather was fine. It was afternoon and the sun was right above the horizon. Although I flew this place many times before, this time I was too reckless. I was too fast, too low and the drone crossed the sun and I looked directly into it. So I lost sight and hit into a tree.
The Karma crashed all propellers an hit into the mud. I was very lucky because of the soft mud no arms were broken. It doesn't even have a scratch. The only part that got damaged is the front glass lens cover of my Hero 6. It got scratched and you can see those scratches on the video now. I need to replace it. I want to share my footage with you to help you prevent making the same mistake I did. The main problem for me was the sun. I will never fly again in front of the afternoon sun.
The Karma worked fine as always. It was all my own fault. Sorry, Karma.

Here is the footage:

good thing it was minimal damage. The sun can distort your sense of direction and line of sight between you and your drone. easy fix since you weren't flying at a ridiculous height.

woooo!
thank god it was low level.
great clean up job, both of the Karma and the tree lol....
tough little buggers really arent they!

One thing! Go over your motors for possible for grit deposit before you fly again. Also remember it is not a racing machine! So gentle on the controls, just ease them with gentle feeling.

thx for sharing!

One thing! Go over your motors for possible for grit deposit before you fly again. Also remember it is not a racing machine! So gentle on the controls, just ease them with gentle feeling.

My Karma is a racing machine. :) I always push it to the limits and it rewards me with awesome footage.
You are right about the grit deposit. Those little magnetic stones in the mud are a real pain as they stick to the motor's magnets like hell. I tried to get the out the best I could with some gentle compressed air blows. I hope that all is out now. I did a 10 minutes test flight three days ago and everything seems to be OK again now.

I replaced the scratched front lens of my Hero 6 and also got a new Hero 7. Not shure if I will mount the 7 to the Karma.

32A0D333-6B50-472A-A179-765B728BAA75.jpeg

My Karma is a racing machine. :) I always push it to the limits and it rewards me with awesome footage.
You are right about the grit deposit. Those little magnetic stones in the mud are a real pain as they stick to the motor's magnets like hell. I tried to get the out the best I could with some gentle compressed air blows. I hope that all is out now. I did a 10 minutes test flight three days ago and everything seems to be OK again now.

I replaced the scratched front lens of my Hero 6 and also got a new Hero 7. Not shure if I will mount the 7 to the Karma.

View attachment 395

Phobos--Have you ever tried racing FPV's? Those little suckers get AMAZING speeds and videos. Here's the latest form a guy in my UAV Group:
TWANSFPV a miniquad pilot

the other thing is they can take the abuse of crashes way better! Anthony's has a titanium frame. You sound like you might get a kick outta those gizmo's! flying speeds can easily be 100 mph, maybe even more. the Karma is what like 40mph max in sport mode?

Reactions: Phobos
Phobos--Have you ever tried racing FPV's? Those little suckers get AMAZING speeds and videos. Here's the latest form a guy in my UAV Group:
TWANSFPV a miniquad pilot

the other thing is they can take the abuse of crashes way better! Anthony's has a titanium frame. You sound like you might get a kick outta those gizmo's! flying speeds can easily be 100 mph, maybe even more. the Karma is what like 40mph max in sport mode?

Thank you for showing the video. FPV pilots have amazing skills but I am already getting sick by watching the video half. o_O
No, thats not my world. I love it a little bit slower and main reason for flying my drone is to get some beautiful footage to make a film. I will stick to my Karma which is in deed fast enough for me. :)

Phobos, your mad! The cost of repairs will come out of your pocket and it will hurt you sooner or later. It is obvious that aerial photography is not your gig!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS