Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Compass not calibrating.

Jimmyriddle

Reaction score
Hi guys....Tried to fly my ‘Karma today,(June/14/2020) and the compass would not calibrate,anybody know if GoPro is having this problem again?...

Flew mine yesterday. The last fix was to resolve an issue that once resolved will not come up again. GoPro not changing or doing anything for Karma. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys....Tried to fly my ‘Karma today,(June/14/2020) and the compass would not calibrate,anybody know if GoPro is having this problem again?...
Make sure the Karma is on 2.50.01 firmware and you should be good.

Calibrate the accelerometer first then the compass.

its a known workaround.

Reactions: XerxesZ
You must have a clear sky for karma to receive GPS signal, then karma will let you do the calibration.
Be patient to find the less wifi interference spots for a successful calibration, always calibrate both the compass and accelerator meter before every take-off (except you just change the battery), then happy flying.

Reactions: XerxesZ
No dont calibrate your accelerometer outdoors you need a flat stable surface for it.
Unless you see any jerky movements or out of the blue behavior hovering then you dont need to calibrate the accele. I do calibrate it from time to time but not always.

compass i do all the time before each flight.

I always follow the software message "calibration is completed", if karma is not on a flat surface, there is the message "put karma in a level surface" and the calibration won't be completed, I am not sure is it any harm to calibrate the accelerator meter before every flight.

You must have a clear sky for karma to receive GPS signal, then karma will let you do the calibration.
Be patient to find the less wifi interference spots for a successful calibration, always calibrate both the compass and accelerator meter before every take-off (except you just change the battery), then happy flying.

Compass is not GPS driven and does not need a clear sky.
Compass in Karma is very sensitive to nearby metal including the rebar and wire mesh in concrete. Light poles, power lines and nearby cars etc. can interfere with compass. Normally there is no need to keep calibrating the accelerometer,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't proceed the "compass calibration" with Karma drone when you are indoor or have no enough GPS signal karma received, if you just launch it then there might be a "compass error" (especially in the autonomous fly) and result a crash.

GoPro Karma is not calibrating in vertical position. has anyone an idea where the problem lies? I tried
several ways to find a work around but failed. All components firmware is up to date. Any idea?

Regards,

Rick

GoPro Karma is not calibrating in vertical position. has anyone an idea where the problem lies? I tried
several ways to find a work around but failed. All components firmware is up to date. Any idea?

Regards,

Rick
Have you tried another locations? Karma is very sensitive to the magnetic interference, normally it will be fine when you move to the different spots.
I use a rotating plate to do the calibration, it becomes easy and more stable, the whole calibration ended within one minute, by the way ,when you rotate the karma during the process specially in vertical position, watching the controller screen, the dots should be connected one by one without space in between.
karma plate-1.jpg

Regards,

Rick
Hiya mate.
Also, you have to turn VERY VERY slowly when calibrating.
Good luck.

Hiya mate.
Also, you have to turn VERY VERY slowly when calibrating.
Good luck.
hi there. so, bought a turnable cake plate and used it to calibrate the darn drone. as before, it does the calibration trick when doing it horizontally. however. having the drone on a vertical position, and turning very very very super very slowly, the calibration error still comes up. I guess my karma is that my karma drone fucks up my entire karma.... gosh, it really gets me somehow. tomorrow, I will start to disasemble the drone. bit by bit. I am eager to find out what gives. if any of you reading this post has additional ideas the god of karma drones is not revealing to the comon folks.... any idea is highly appreciated....

Have you tried another locations? Karma is very sensitive to the magnetic interference, normally it will be fine when you move to the different spots.
I use a rotating plate to do the calibration, it becomes easy and more stable, the whole calibration ended within one minute, by the way ,when you rotate the karma during the process specially in vertical position, watching the controller screen, the dots should be connected one by one without space in between.
View attachment 592
as mentioned to the other pilot, it is not happening! I can't get the darn thing working and it really starts wearing on me... I even bought a turnable plate, changed the spot many times and no improvment there. tomorrow is the day I will take the darn thing apart. bit by bit.... lol

Hi,
How about the blue dots on the controller's screen, are they connected one by one without spaces in between, where are you doing the calibration, did you try the spots in the rural area or just in the near urban surroundings, I think it is not the machine itself, the magnetic (WIFI,power lines, mental parts etc.,) interference is the problem.

Reactions: Ironspear
Hi folks, I am grounded and think my Sim Card may be fried because I cannot get 'Calibration', and my Karma will not fly without Calibration. I purchased my drone at Best Buy 2.5 yrs ago before Karma went 'out-of-business', but life took me a different direction. So I just unpacked and methodically assembled this weekend. Well, updating is recommended, and after Karma sitting 2.5 yrs, I thought for sure, I should update.! MISTAKE. After updating and reinserting Sim Card, GoPro searched for over an hour until the battery ran out, and all that time my GoPro camera was literally 'hot' to touch. Never did acknowledge the 'Update'. But now it will not Calibrate so will not fly. How to purchase a new Sim Card? Also location made no difference. From vacant 'parking lot' to hilltop, made no difference, same results!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS