Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Compass Error - Use Joysticks and Land Immediately

My defective replacement is delivering to them today, we'll see how that goes but I'm expecting a big wait...

Also, the replacement I received last week had the EXACT same issue you experienced. I wonder if there's "something in the water" and they're reviewing all their stock.

They always claim you will have your replacement in a week. When it doesn’t show up you will be told it is “out of stock”. This is the SOP for them. Propellers, camera harness, replacement legs, etc. all the same... it’s been that way even before they discontinued the Karma. :mad:

You could try this one
Nick Woodman, CEO: mailto:[email protected]

Good morning, I will keep this very short.

I am looking for the contact information for someone at GoPro corporate that would be willing to speak with me or correspond by email to discuss my challenges with getting my Karma replaced.

The unit was determined to be defective by your team in March and I have yet to receive a replacement.

I also am a holder of the GoPro Karma Care insurance, but that seems to have no impact to the timing of a solution. I currently have no idea (and either does your TechSupt team) on an ETA to get me back into the air after over $1000 investment.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Shon
Very curious if this will get to Woodman.

I have been without a working drone for over a month now, the DOA replacement I received delivered to them on Tuesday.

I just need to get a working replacement back so i can sell it and be done. I know it’s not fancy but I ordered a refurb DJI Spark yesterday cuz I’d rather worry about $250 flying away rather than a $400 camera and a $600 drone.

What a bummer this experience has been haha

I know it’s not fancy but I ordered a refurb DJI Spark yesterday cuz I’d rather worry about $250 flying away rather than a $400 camera and a $600 drone.

I also purchased (stole) an almost new Spark from a fellow who just "couldn't figure out how to set it up - too damn complicated" . . . Amazing little drone and I am having a lot of fun with it. Helpful hint...spend some time with the YouTube how to set it up videos...will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Got this tonight... Could this be the start of the shipping cycle...?

Hi Don Presten,

Thanks for returning your Karma - Core.

We have received and processed your return. Replacement order SO-xxxxxxx has been set up and should be on its way to you shortly.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out - we’re available via email, live chat, or phone. Here is a link to our contact information: https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

Many Thanks,
GoPro Support
http://gopro.com/help/

The replacement core arrived today. I put one battery through it keeping it no more than 20 feet way and it appears to be functional - no errors. Firmware was current - only required re-pairing and a compass calibration. I'll expand the limits this weekend.

Final chapter... Spoke (in Chat) with support – asked if I could have the Karma Care support extended for the 3 weeks that I was grounded. Got the expected answer of “That is not possible” – she offered to cancel my Karma Care and provide me with a prorated refund (wow!). I said no. I am done with GoPro. I'll keep it, but will never buy another GoPro product.

That's good to know they'll offer a prorated refund, I'm going to ask for that when I finally get a working one and before I sell it.

After flying this Spark for two days, I feel like I giant doofus for ever having bought a Karma.

Update- I still don't have a replacement drone. I went ahead and got my GoPro Care refunding but after a week, that refund is not reflected on my credit card.

To recap, the replacement delivered to them on April 10th. I called GoPro yesterday to check in and they told me their replacement stock was just replenished and I should have the replacement next week, at which point it will have been a month since they received the original DOA replacement they sent me lol

Final update from me on this- I received the replacement about two weeks ago and it was flawless. Sold it on eBay immediately and it is out of my life for good.

I'm still working with GoPro on refunding me for the Karma Care (they agreed to it a month ago at a prorated amount but when the dummies did the RMA, they did it for $0).

Got a call from Support last night. They reviewed the flight logs.

1. They determined I was flying in a residential neighborhood fraught with peril (true - but I have flown from this same spot almost daily for a month without issue).
2. They recommend I recac the compass before every flight (I did recalc between the two crazy uncontrollable flights).
3. They determined that my Karma was defective and they are replacing it. I am sending the core back today via Fedex (ground) and they will send me a new one upon receipt (ground - I bitched about this but to no avail).

I am grounded for a few weeks.
I have had the same issue twice with my Karma. Once I was in an open field and landed safely with only the loss of one propellor. But today i was unable to control the Karma once i received the "compass error" problem. The Karma has hit a tree and landed upside down in 6-8 inches of fresh water. Body held up pretty well, not visual damage to body or rotor arms. But I have lost a small cover off the top of the Kimble (Stabiliser) and now I can not power up the Karma Drone. Looks like the water has killed the Drone. Will be contacting GoPro tomorrow. Already uploaded Flight Logs.

I think the massage of "Compass Error, Use Joysticks to Land Immediately" is not something wrong with the machine itself, I don't understand why GoPro do not reply the real situation and always asking customer to replace to a new one, it will not solve the problem because it is the compass interference issue, you should always launch the drone in an open area away from the residential or narrow space area, even you have done some successful flies before.
I just came back from a photography tour to the Faroe Islands (in some fishing villages there are sign plates stated "no drone flying") last month and did several karma drone flying , during the tour I also had several error message of "Compass Error, Use Joysticks to Land Immediately" when I took off closing to the residential area or high cliff rocks, or in front of my room, but it was always OK when I started from an open area spots.
I suggest do not fly karma drone in the residential area, you should always do the compass and accelerator calibration when you move to a new spots far away, or when controller asks to do, attached please see one of my footage made in the Faroe Islands.
/ camera: Hero 5 black / resolution: 2.7k/60fps / post: filmora 9.

Reactions: Kevin Waters
Had confirmation from GoPro that they are replacing my damaged Karma Drone. Returned damaged drone to GoPro. Should recieve my replacement early next week. I can't understand all the negative remarks regarding GoPro Customer Service. I dealt with a competent Lady called Rochelle who was very helpful and understanding. The whole experience was a positive one. I think I would still give them a positive even if they hadn't replaced the damaged drone.

Reactions: Shon and Ironspear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS