Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Charging Karma Battery from GoPro Battery Pack

OFlyer

Reaction score
Is it possible to charge the Karma battery using the GoPro Portable Battery Pack?

No. The Karma battery has its own charger that needs to be plugged in to an AC outlet.

You CAN use the Karma battery plugged into the charger without AC current to charge your Karma Grip or Hero 5 and 6 cameras. I’m not happy with how heavy this charging option is, but it has sure come in handy on long hikes where I’m not near a power source, but using the Grip continually.

No. The Karma battery has its own charger that needs to be plugged in to an AC outlet.

You CAN use the Karma battery plugged into the charger without AC current to charge your Karma Grip or Hero 5 and 6 cameras. I’m not happy with how heavy this charging option is, but it has sure come in handy on long hikes where I’m not near a power source, but using the Grip continually.

Shon: Thanks so much. I was afraid of that, but was hoping there is a way to use a USB adaptor that can connect to the charger. OFlyer

Shon: Thanks so much. I was afraid of that, but was hoping there is a way to use a USB adaptor that can connect to the charger. OFlyer

I’ve had some really bad experiences trying to use a USB adapter to charge the Karma Grip. My Grip stopped working on Glacer Point at Yosemite and I missed some spectacular photos. Fortunately I go up there all the time, but I would have been crushed if it was a once in a lifetime trip.

I learned my lesson. I’m only using the approved Karma charger.

Shon - Thanks for the advise. Will save me from making that mistake.

It would be nice if someone made a connecting wire that would attached to the Karma charger and use a USB connection at the other end (instead of the three prong connector). That would allow us to charge the drone battery, and the Karma grip, using the karma charger attached to a battery pack outdoors.

Again, thanks.

Is it possible to charge the Karma battery using the GoPro Portable Battery Pack?
As far as i know this is possible. Just connect your camera and find out

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

Thanks. My challenge is finding a connecting wire that can attached to the Karma Charger AND has a USB connection at the other end (to attached to the portable battery pack).

Really appreciate everyone's replies.

USB ports are 5 volts and depending on unit can provide from 500 ma to around 1500 ma. Current for charging. The grip and camera and controller can all be charged from USB chargers.

The Karma battery is a 5100mAh 14.8V (4 cell) LiPo battery. To charge any battery you need a source that can “push” the current for charging which requires a higher voltage than the voltage of the device being charged. In addition for multi cell LiPo batteries you must use a balance charger. All this is built into the Karma charger. No matter what you do that charger will never work on a USB connection. Suggest getting an inverter if you really have to recharge out in the field. Plug Karma charger into big enough (wattage rating - I don’t have Karma charger with me and can’t find spec but rating has to be on the unit) and connect inverter to car battery.

Also I charge the grip and controller on good quality USB chargers all the time with no issues. Should not be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: meeshootkin
JCLs – Thanks for the detailed explanation. I now understand the issue. Given that GoPro has discontinued the Karma production, we are hesitant (right now) to invest in multiple additional batteries for the Karma, which is the logical answer to not running out of power in the field. Really appreciate your information.

I went ahead and got another battery I will store and maintain storage level on it. Just wish GoPro had come up with easier way to do that. I have two other batteries I fly with. Have no idea how long they will last and got to thinking a little insurance would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ironspear
That's smart. We may have to do the same. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS