Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

zombiecircus

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New here, but making this post to seek advice and post my progress of trying to edit the way I control my karma drone using the controller.

Here's my issue, as someone who plays a lot of fps games, call of duty, etc. I am very used to the way you use the 2 joysticks to control your player. The karma uses similar controls however the joysticks are flipped. With no editable settings built into the software from GoPro, my next step is to dive deeper into the controller. I want to explore editing the software first, but if needed I will open the controller to swap how the joysticks are wired.

I want the left joystick to fly forward, fly backward, move left, and move right. Then the right joystick will fly higher, fly lower, turn left, and turn right. I've attached a picture of the flight controls from GoPro's website so you can see that all I need to do is swap which joystick does what.

also, I've watched a youtube video here:
that explains a process of being able to backup and flash firmware to the controller through a pc posted here by Andvaider. This is where I will start. Not a pro at this so any help from you guys is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.02.40 AM.png

Reactions: XerxesZ and webbs
I was able to backup the stock system rom from the controller. From there It appears to be a customized android rom. I dumped the contents of the rom and have been looking for where the drone control instructions may be hidden. Not being too familiar with the android system I'm kind of just poking around aimlessly. If anyone with more experience wants to take a look I've uploaded the system dump to my google drive. Here's the link: Karma - Google Drive

After talking to Andvaider, I found that the control settings are located in usr>keylayout>Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl
switching (X,Y) & (RX,RY) should accomplish what I am looking for. seems simple enough, but explained to me by Andvaider, the issue is trying to repack and reflash the rom after editing. This is due to the encryption used by GoPro. Andvaider said It's possible for him to do it by way of making a custom rom but that would also install a basic android system onto the controller. From there the Karma system would just be launch-able app.IMG_3510.JPGIMG_3511.JPG

While cool, this is not the approach I want to take. This would be a good idea for anyone wanting to make more detailed control or setting changes or if you want to use your controller to also play android games. feel free to reach out to Andvaider ([email protected]) if you're looking for this.

From here I decided to switch to a hardware approach. The theory is if I can take the wires that connect each joystick and switch them that should accomplish my goal while keeping the software completely stock.

Searching the net I found a site that gave detailed pics of the teardown of the controller ( KWBH1 Remote Control Teardown Internal Photos 160825C22 _EUT photo_ GoPro, . )IMG_3512.jpg
The left and right joysticks are the same part and connected by a 4 wire connector. The wires are thin and short. I plan to cut and extend both wires then cross them.

Ok, after about an hour of soldering this is what I've got.IMG_3514.JPGIMG_3515.JPG
reassembling controller now then going to test it in the flight simulator.

Last edited:
After testing everything in the built-in flight simulator I'm super happy with how this came out and the ease of control I can now have over the drone! I'm someone who plays a lot of Call of Duty so the flipped controls of the Karma always made it difficult to maneuver and get good moving shots. My muscle memory would always want to revert to standard gaming controls. Now I'm able to use the Karma controller as a natural extension of myself. Flying with it is now a breeze and I'm excited to get some awesome shots! I've always felt that GoPro has great hardware but falls short on software. I hope this thread helps anyone else like me who needs to flip the stock controls.

After testing everything in the built-in flight simulator I'm super happy with how this came out and the ease of control I can now have over the drone! I'm someone who plays a lot of Call of Duty so the flipped controls of the Karma always made it difficult to maneuver and get good moving shots. My muscle memory would always want to revert to standard gaming controls. Now I'm able to use the Karma controller as a natural extension of myself. Flying with it is now a breeze and I'm excited to get some awesome shots! I've always felt that GoPro has great hardware but falls short on software. I hope this thread helps anyone else like me who needs to flip the stock controls.
Awesome work.

I know what you mean about muscle memory and having issues there. I will hopefully get a 2nd Karma that i can have a play with and look at this option.

Are you able to measure the plugs to see the spacing between the pins? They look like a JST Connector but just not sure which size, SH (1mm) or or ZH (1.5mm) You can but ready made longer versions on eBay/Aliexpress.

Reactions: zombiecircus
Awesome work.

I know what you mean about muscle memory and having issues there. I will hopefully get a 2nd Karma that i can have a play with and look at this option.

Are you able to measure the plugs to see the spacing between the pins? They look like a JST Connector but just not sure which size, SH (1mm) or or ZH (1.5mm) You can but ready made longer versions on eBay/Aliexpress.
that's a great idea! pre-made cables would be perfect. the plastic is pretty brittle so when trying to unlatch the little clips they just cracked. but other than that it was an easy job.

that's a great idea! pre-made cables would be perfect. the plastic is pretty brittle so when trying to unlatch the little clips they just cracked. but other than that it was an easy job.
I'll see if i can pull apart my control later tonight and try a few of the different connectors that i have and see what type and size they are and then work out the length required i can post back the details.

I'll see if i can pull apart my control later tonight and try a few of the different connectors that i have and see what type and size they are and then work out the length required i can post back the details.
cool yeah! If you find some premade ones I may order a pair for a cleaner install

I have had a look at the plugs and they are not JST or D13 type of plug. I have measured them at 1mm pitch so I will do some research and see if i can find out what plug they are.

I have had a look at the plugs and they are not JST or D13 type of plug. I have measured them at 1mm pitch so I will do some research and see if i can find out what plug they are.
ok, keep us updated!

I have had a look online and they appear to be a Molex, Pico-Clasp Female Connector Housing, 1mm Pitch. I will have a look and see if i can find any ready made cables. What length would they need to be?

I have had a look online and they appear to be a Molex, Pico-Clasp Female Connector Housing, 1mm Pitch. I will have a look and see if i can find any ready made cables. What length would they need to be?
mine are about 150mm

I have found the following on RS Components
RS Components NZ
406-708 is the 4 way plug (around NZ$3.50 for a pack of 10)
126-0291 for a 150mm pre-crimped wire (around NZ$15.00 for a pack of 10) (126-0289 is for dual row plugs)
126-0292 for a 300mm pre-crimped wire (around NZ$18.00 for a pack of 10) (126-0290 is for dual row plugs)

1 set of plugs and 1 set of wires will make up a 2 extension leads.

I have found the following on RS Components
RS Components NZ
406-708 is the 4 way plug (around NZ$3.50 for a pack of 10)
126-0291 for a 150mm pre-crimped wire (around NZ$15.00 for a pack of 10) (126-0289 is for dual row plugs)
126-0292 for a 300mm pre-crimped wire (around NZ$18.00 for a pack of 10) (126-0290 is for dual row plugs)

1 set of plugs and 1 set of wires will make up a 2 extension leads.
so wait, what are dual row plugs?

so wait, what are dual row plugs?
No, they are a single row 4 way. There are 2 part numbers for the 150mm and 300mm wires and i was just noting the other set of crimped wires are for the dual a row connector.

If someone wants to double check the molex plugs are the ones that are used on the controller? I have had a look and measure and think they are but without having a set to try i cant confirm that they are the ones for this.

Thanks for the post.

well this is a start of doing a hack on karma.
Now if only you could bring back a dead karma drone to life by hacking into its system software and making it fix gimbal/pairing issues it would defenitly help the community.

karma has an internal sd card slot.

With the download and unpacking of the ROM from the Karma there might be someone who can read the code and see what the requirement is for pairing the gimbal? This again could give the option of then customising the code. Maybe since GoPro longer make the Karma they might release the key required to repack the ROM so modified versions could be downloaded.

Reactions: dronelover
I ordered the items from RS and they arrived yesterday.
406-708 Pico-Clasp 4 Way Connector Housing
126-0291 Pico-Clasp 150mm 28AWG Pre-Crimped Lead
I made up the cables clipping the wires into the plugs - wire 1 and wire 2 photos. The 150mm cables will give enough length to route them nicely out of the way.
But trying to removed the last plug I broke the connector off the board (its a surface mounted plug) so I will need to get some fine solder today and solder it back in place - wire 3 photo.
Using the photo from ( KWBH1 Remote Control Teardown Internal Photos 160825C22 _EUT photo_ GoPro, . ) wire 5 i have shown the path the wires will take once it is back together.

Lesson learned:
I needed to use a small flat screwdriver to pry the front of the socket forward so the clip on the plug can easily come out - wire 4 photo. If this bit gets broken then a dab of hot glue will keep the new plug in place.

I will give an update once I have it all back and working.

My new Master Airscrew props also arrived from the US to replace the 4 broken ones so I should be good to fly again with the sticks around the right way for me again soon.

Attachments

• Wire 1.jpg
    Wire 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Wire 2.jpg
    Wire 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 6
  • Wire 3.jpg
    Wire 3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Wire 4.jpg
    Wire 4.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Wire 5.jpg
    Wire 5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I soldered the wires to the board and tested it only to find it had them the wrong way around. I popped the wires out of the plug and swapped them around and it tested fine. I am happy get out and fly today and will report back.

Reactions: Ironspear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS