Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Central, VA, USA nooby

lol... haha learning IS fun for me. ;) here in States you can choose to fly differently on each mission. one can fly as a hobbyist under "PART 101e" regulations/guidelines, or declare a mission as flying commercially under the "part 107" regulations. To fly the 'commercial' way one needs to pass the Knowledge Test. Hobbyist = no test. there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and new legislation being written all the time, so my thinking is in the states i will be ahead of the curve to study and test now. It will only be to my advantage down the line, plus the "perks" I get by having done so will come in handy for my photography and cinematography goals!

Excellent!

Reactions: Matisse
one can fly as a hobbyist under "PART 101e" regulations/guidelines, or declare a mission as flying commercially under the "part 107" regulations. To fly the 'commercial' way one needs to pass the Knowledge Test. Hobbyist = no test.
Technically, the hobbyist is flying under 14 CFR Part 101.41. Subpart E identifies model aircraft, but generally when referring to FARs, you only refer to the numbers vice subparts. It took a ton of time for me to figure it all out last night (waiting for my drone to be delivered), and since I already have a Commercial SEL/Helicopter airman's certificate - I just have to add on the part 107 endorsement.

The last thing I want to do is endanger my commercial ticket by messing around with a drone... Part 101.41 for me right now! :)

Technically, the hobbyist is flying under 14 CFR Part 101.41. Subpart E identifies model aircraft, but generally when referring to FARs, you only refer to the numbers vice subparts. It took a ton of time for me to figure it all out last night (waiting for my drone to be delivered), and since I already have a Commercial SEL/Helicopter airman's certificate - I just have to add on the part 107 endorsement.

The last thing I want to do is endanger my commercial ticket by messing around with a drone... Part 101.41 for me right now! :)

Kewl thanks for that that clarification, and ya i was almost shocked when a buddy of mine with private pilots license told me how if he has any kind of ‘infringement’ pertaining to his drone usage, for lack of a better word, his entire license could be in jeopardy. Sounds awfully punitive.... i hope a new ammendment addresses that to separate the remote pilot endorsement, or any endorsement for that matter, it does sound harsh... imho

Kewl thanks for that that clarification, and ya i was almost shocked when a buddy of mine with private pilots license told me how if he has any kind of ‘infringement’ pertaining to his drone usage, for lack of a better word, his entire license could be in jeopardy. Sounds awfully punitive.... i hope a new ammendment addresses that to separate the remote pilot endorsement, or any endorsement for that matter, it does sound harsh... imho
It kind of makes sense really. Operating in the national airspace system is a privelege, and those of us with advanced airman's certificates should know better. Hence the reason it's an add-on to our existing certificates.

I had to do the research because I currently have a denied medical, so I am not allowed to exercise the privileges of my certificate - I'm in a catch 22 in that without a medical, I can't even add the 107 endorsement (I have to have a current biennial flight review in an actual airplane to add the 107 endorsement). Wanted to make sure there was a way I could operate the drone and stay on the good side of the FAA. They are quick to institute a disciplinary action (to protect the flying public/passengers), and SLOW to reverse it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildman