Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Best Procedure to Calibrate

Jopahar

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to calibrate? The manual is pretty useless. It just says the controller will tell you how. The controller gives very limited instructions on what to do.
  1. How far away should the controller be from the drone when you calibrate?
  2. Can you hold the controller in your hand while you are spinning in a circle?
  3. If you should be away from the controller, then how do you calibrate without 2 people, one to hold the controller and tell you what it is saying and the other to spin the drone?

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to calibrate? The manual is pretty useless. It just says the controller will tell you how. The controller gives very limited instructions on what to do.
  3. If you should be away from the controller, then how do you calibrate without 2 people, one to hold the controller and tell you what it is saying and the other to spin the drone?

I usually put the controller on the floor and step away while I can still recognize what‘s on the screen. Also, I go through the individual calibrations in the order they are shown in the menu.

To start you have to tip the screen, after which you can step away, hold steady and then do what it tells you to do. Check the screen to see when it changes. Then you can step up to it and see the instructions, step away, hold steady, and so on, and so forth.

Once you‘ve been through the process a few times, you‘ll know by heart what to look for on the screen, so it will become easier.

At least that is my experience.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Best way? Have another person assist you with calibration. It can be a good idea to fly with a spotter anyway. Sometimes they look at things from a different angle, or see potential hazards (like power lines or tree limbs) that you might miss in your focus on other details.

PROTIP: Turn SLOWLY with the drone. Too fast and calibration can fail.

Option B: I often fly with a helipad (A floor mat or car "sun shade" works fine in a pinch) I put the controller on the helipad and follow the calibration instructions.

Option C: I have held the controller while doing calibration. This is NOT ideal, and it sometimes has taken me several tries to successfully calibrate. If calibration fails, The controller will audibly announce, "calibration failed", and you will not be able to fly your drone.

I ALWAYS re-calibrate before first flight of the day, and when I move to a different spot to fly. I consider it my ritual dance to appease the air gods, LOL.

The controller will cause compass interference. Never calibrate with the controller in your hand. Additionally, DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground. DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as cellular phones.

Reactions: Ironspear and Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy