Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

ATTI Mode

terry.bair

Reaction score
I'm new to Karma drone flying. Can someone explain ATTI Mode and how it is turned on or off?

Thanks,
Terry

I'm new to Karma drone flying. Can someone explain ATTI Mode and how it is turned on or off?

Thanks,
Terry

ATTI mode is DJI drone speak for low GPS. It means your drone will hover at altitude, but may drift with the wind.

Karma doesn’t use this terminology, it just announces lost GPS connection.

You don’t have the option of turning off GPS on the Karma. If you are flying indoors ( not recommended) or in an obstructed area ( near a cliff or slot canyon) you will simply get a low GPS warning and a message that only an expert should attempt to fly without GPS.

In my experience, the Karma can drift even with GPS lock. It won’t drift too far, but in can attempt to land itself, crash into the water, or hit a nearby tree if you take your eyes off it for too long. Without GPS even the slightest breeze can significantly effect the drone. Keep in mind that the wind velocity can be much higher at altitude, so with GPS loss, and a significant breeze, the drone can quickly fly out of range and disappear. Many novice pilots report drone flyaways due to GPS loss and it can happen to experienced pilots too.

If you panic, and hit the “return to home” button during GPS loss, your drone might take off as it doesn’t know where “home” is. Landing manually can also be challenging as the drone may continue to drift while landing, and without compensation for the drift, crash landings are more likely as people often overshoot the landing area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billybob
Thanks, so much, for your comments and explanation. You have answered all my questions. Terry

The Karma is almost uncontrollable without gps, proceed with caution should you find yourself without a clear gps signal.

The Karma is almost uncontrollable without gps, proceed with caution should you find yourself without a clear gps signal.

I fly my Karma fairly often in a confined area (about 3n wide) between 3 story buildings on one side and trees on the other with no GPS and no problems. I am doing this to pull batteries down to just 2 lights coming on when necessary after flying in other locations. It is driveway coming into my townhouse. I have flown RC helis for several years though. The Karma is like any other quad without GPS assist, better than some, worse than some. Not sure about all your issues with a Karma but you have moved on and we all get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair point- I’m a bit inexperienced when it comes to flying.

I will say that the Karma loses GPS much easier than the Spark in my experience. I’ve read Karma just doesn’t have a robust antenna solution and can lose GPS / Compass more often than other drones.

Fair point- I’m a bit inexperienced when it comes to flying.

I will say that the Karma loses GPS much easier than the Spark in my experience. I’ve read Karma just doesn’t have a robust antenna solution and can lose GPS / Compass more often than other drones.

Karma has weaker WiFi frequency based system. Is WiFi to avoid licensing issues but is very subject to interference. In spite of advertising I do not think it was ever meant for longer range work, but under certain conditions it can do that. I have external patch antennas on mine and it is obviously making a difference. That has nothing to do with GPS however. To me the really superior camera properties and resulting picture quality are worth being a little restricted in range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve actually had almost zero WiFi signal loss with the Karma as I was pretty cautious. The disconnects I had on my crash and then an out of box failure on a replacement were well within what I would call a safe range (maybe 50 ft away on the actual cash, 150-200ft away on my close call with a defective replacement).

I completely agree on the camera aspect- it’s stellar. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on the rest and that’s fine! Best of luck with your Karma.

Karma has weaker WiFi frequency based system. Is WiFi to avoid licensing issues but is very subject to interference. In spite of advertising I do not think it was ever meant for longer range work, but under certain conditions it can do that. I have external patch antennas on mine and it is obviously making a difference. That has nothing to do with GPS however. To me the really superior camera properties and resulting picture quality are worth being a little restricted in range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you can share the info about the External Patch Antennas ?? Thanks !

ATTI mode is DJI drone speak for low GPS. It means your drone will hover at altitude, but may drift with the wind.

Karma doesn’t use this terminology, it just announces lost GPS connection.

You don’t have the option of turning off GPS on the Karma. If you are flying indoors ( not recommended) or in an obstructed area ( near a cliff or slot canyon) you will simply get a low GPS warning and a message that only an expert should attempt to fly without GPS.

In my experience, the Karma can drift even with GPS lock. It won’t drift too far, but in can attempt to land itself, crash into the water, or hit a nearby tree if you take your eyes off it for too long. Without GPS even the slightest breeze can significantly effect the drone. Keep in mind that the wind velocity can be much higher at altitude, so with GPS loss, and a significant breeze, the drone can quickly fly out of range and disappear. Many novice pilots report drone flyaways due to GPS loss and it can happen to experienced pilots too.

If you panic, and hit the “return to home” button during GPS loss, your drone might take off as it doesn’t know where “home” is. Landing manually can also be challenging as the drone may continue to drift while landing, and without compensation for the drift, crash landings are more likely as people often overshoot the landing area.

Hi Shon, thanks for your insight.

Is there a way to FORCE the Karma to fly off GPS’ for example by covering it before take off ?
The reason I am asking this is because I am currently training to pass a practical exam in Belgium to get a drone pilot licence and they require a sequence of flight in ATTI mode. I like my Karma, it works perfectly well and would like to avoid buying a new drone juste to pass the exam ;-(

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi Shon, thanks for your insight.

Is there a way to FORCE the Karma to fly off GPS’ for example by covering it before take off ?
The reason I am asking this is because I am currently training to pass a practical exam in Belgium to get a drone pilot licence and they require a sequence of flight in ATTI mode. I like my Karma, it works perfectly well and would like to avoid buying a new drone juste to pass the exam ;-(

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

I thought you could turn gps mode off on the Karma controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Actually not, as it connects automatically to the signal if there is one. It is only when the signal is bad that you can choose to fly without GPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy