Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Anyone done night flight with the Karma?

Matisse

Reaction score
I'm looking for some tips and visuals to see your experiences with night flight stills/video in action. Also how the required light affects either? I did order the 3 Sm strobe light this morning from Firehouse Technologies....

thx all!

Sorry to be a killjoy, but you're risking your 107 certificate if you do and get caught.

(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.

(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.

(c) For purposes of paragraph (b) of this section, civil twilight refers to the following:

(1) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins 30 minutes before official sunrise and ends at official sunrise;

(2) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins at official sunset and ends 30 minutes after official sunset; and

(3) In Alaska, the period of civil twilight as defined in the Air Almanac.

Sent from my BBB100-7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ironspear
I have done it a couple of time and I found that I needed more than one strobe light so I have two (easier to pick out two strobes about 2m apart on your controller screen).

Make your first flights out in the middle of nowhere then you will have no obstacle collision issues.

Good luck.

Have fun.

Reactions: Matisse
I should also clarify my comment, not to make you think you can't fly at night. The FARs can be quite confusing at times, and the FAA generally holds certificate holders to a higher standard than the general public, i.e. - you're supposed to know/understand things that are sometimes murky. So, here's my interpretation of the FARs and how to best protect your certificate:

1. 107 operations can't be conducted at night without a waiver.
  2. 101.41 operations can be, provided you're operating within the community based set of guidelines (lighting, anti-collision lights, etc)

So how to protect your certificate? If you're just doing it for fun (hobbyist), the first step would be to register your drone under 336 (101.41) as well as 107 if you haven't already. If you're operating under 101.41 and your drone is only registered under 107, the FAA could interpret that as you were operating under 107. Second, if you don't maintain a logbook already - I suggest you do, then clearly log each flight and whether you're operating under 107 or 101.41. That way, if the FAA starts certificate action - you can prove that you were intending to and operating under 101.41.

The FAA is generally not unreasonable, but they aren't quick. They will initiate certificate action at light speed, then take months to reinstate your privileges.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but you're risking your 107 certificate if you do and get caught.

Thanks for your opinion, But no; i'm not risking my 107 by flying at night.

...... the FAA generally holds certificate holders to a higher standard than the general public, i.e. - you're supposed to know/understand things that are sometimes murky. So, here's my interpretation of the FARs and how to best protect your certificate:

If you're just doing it for fun (hobbyist), the first step would be to register your drone under 336 (101.41) as well as 107 if you haven't already. If you're operating under 101.41 and your drone is only registered under 107, the FAA could interpret that as you were operating under 107.

You’re mistaken on the 336/107 registrations @phrogpilot73
107 allows a pilot to choose how they wish to fly. I dont need the two types of registrations.

If an airman of sUAS comes right in as 107 license/certificate holder they would not ever need to register 336; they go directly to part 107 reg, as that covers both hobby & commercial. (Registrations are on faadronezone.faa.gov). I however became 107 AFTER i had already registered under 336 dashboard. So, I have disengaged my 336 reg number from my aircraft, and display ONLY my 107 reg number. ( on the outside per regulation in effect 2/25/19 )

My source is not my interpretation;; it is from speaking direct with the FAA. I’m very diligent in that regard. (Not interpreting murky areas myself, or relying on other’s opinions.) Also, very diligent in my log book records.

Thanks @Ironspear I'm starting off with just the one strobe for now, which is rated for visibility of our required 3Sm. I have some practicing to do, so will not wander too far yet...and will start at lake as you mentioned wide open area lol...Did your strobes interfere with pictures or video? Guess ill find out, but just wanted to see if anyone knew what i could expect..

Cheers!

JJ

I'll be the first to admit I'm not 100% on the 107 rules, seeing as how I'm in the catch 22 of not being able to get it right now.

I'm also very cynical and wary of the FAA, based on my experience with them over the years.

Sounds like you've got it covered!

I'm looking for some tips and visuals to see your experiences with night flight stills/video in action. Also how the required light affects either? I did order the 3 Sm strobe light this morning from Firehouse Technologies....

thx all!

I haven’t been all that impressed with the low light capabilities of the Camera. I’m thinking I need to experiment with night photography much more on the ground before I take to the air. I have much to learn about drone piloting and even more to learn about photography.

I haven’t been all that impressed with the low light capabilities of the Camera. I’m thinking I need to experiment with night photography much more on the ground before I take to the air. I have much to learn about drone piloting and even more to learn about photography.
I only briefly glanced at the protune settings on my Hero 5, but my guess (based on what I saw there) is that you'll get the most success at night with the GoPro if you enable protune and adjust aperture, ISO, and shutter speed manually.

I knew none of this, until I took a photography class on udemy for $9.95. Best ten bucks I've ever spent.

I only briefly glanced at the protune settings on my Hero 5, but my guess (based on what I saw there) is that you'll get the most success at night with the GoPro if you enable protune and adjust aperture, ISO, and shutter speed manually.

I knew none of this, until I took a photography class on udemy for $9.95. Best ten bucks I've ever spent.

I probably need to do that. I’ve thought of taking a photography class at a local Community College, but Udemy sounds much more reasonable.

There is a great photographer also put out a series on the karma and the latest go pro’s. Jordan hetrick. Amazon sells paper and kindle versions...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS