Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Another Flyaway!

patrol

Reaction score
Hi all- I was looking forward to some footage of the Woodward Ave DreamCruise in Michigan this past weekend-- so I practiced at the location for about a week in advance, and set up all the shots. Unfortunately, the day of the event-- I launched the Karma just like normal and it immediately went into BOOH (Bat Out Of Hell) mode-- flew at over max speed up and away, and out of sight. I regained control for a moment and coaxed it back halfway-- before it went BOOH again and flew about a 1 1/2 miles away and landed at Divine Faith Church -- hitting a tree and dropping to the ground. GoPro India provided me with this location, after updating my logs-- and they were right on... so I did recover everything, and what appeared to be only 2 broken blades. Unfortunately now, I'm getting the dreaded Fail to Launch-- contact support... even though everything seems to be working-- I replaced the 2 blades, the stabalizer is working fine in the handle and will pan the camera on the ground. Recalibrated everything with no errors. Any ideas??? It's a bummer that this things gives zero feedback to what is going on.... GoPro has been OK so far, but I've been having to call them back and lately all they want me to do is the same stuff over and over. Is there a bad batch of stabalizers? My drone was shipped originally in Feb 17.... so pretty early. I just never used it much-- Sorry so long--- bummed about having something that such a simpleton error... with no way to troubleshoot.

Well those who have more experience probably already know the answer to this situation. Basically my drone flew away and landed about 2 miles away for an unexplained reason. GoPro can't tell me why. The drone is giving a Can Not Launch error, contact support. All support says is update the software, which has been done.... no diagnostics, no explanations, no help whatsoever other then they tell me to randomly buy parts of of EBAY to see if I happen to catch which pc. of hardware (if it even is hardware) is not working. I know GoPro left the drone business, but it seems like for customer retention they might be more helpful. I believe the Karma is dangerous and probably should be grounded like the 737!

G'day!
You could have a look at this thread...
In it they seem to think it is an issue with the stabiliser...

Good luck.

Switch the camera , I mean install a different camera , maybe ports are damaged , causing no communication between drone and controller, it happen to me and that tip solved the issue

Hi all- I was looking forward to some footage of the Woodward Ave DreamCruise in Michigan this past weekend-- so I practiced at the location for about a week in advance, and set up all the shots. Unfortunately, the day of the event-- I launched the Karma just like normal and it immediately went into BOOH (Bat Out Of Hell) mode-- flew at over max speed up and away, and out of sight. I regained control for a moment and coaxed it back halfway-- before it went BOOH again and flew about a 1 1/2 miles away and landed at Divine Faith Church -- hitting a tree and dropping to the ground. GoPro India provided me with this location, after updating my logs-- and they were right on... so I did recover everything, and what appeared to be only 2 broken blades. Unfortunately now, I'm getting the dreaded Fail to Launch-- contact support... even though everything seems to be working-- I replaced the 2 blades, the stabalizer is working fine in the handle and will pan the camera on the ground. Recalibrated everything with no errors. Any ideas??? It's a bummer that this things gives zero feedback to what is going on.... GoPro has been OK so far, but I've been having to call them back and lately all they want me to do is the same stuff over and over. Is there a bad batch of stabalizers? My drone was shipped originally in Feb 17.... so pretty early. I just never used it much-- Sorry so long--- bummed about having something that such a simpleton error... with no way to troubleshoot.

I've had a couple of BOOH flights but was able to regain some semblance of control enough to bring the drone back and do a controlled crash. It seemed to still respond to the joysticks as long as one was engaged but letting go of the joysticks immediately put the drone back in BOOH mode. A tip I picked up somewhere was to calibrate the compass as well as the accelerometer at each new location before flying. I've been doing this for the past 6 months and have not had a repeat BOOH event.

Could be a GPS problem. Though I think your problem is in the Karma pre-programming. I like to have manual control at all times.

Thanks all- yesI tried that "resolved" thread, and it was pretty much resolved by Gopro sending a new stabalizer-- I haven't tried a different camera because i don't have one-- I'm leaning towards defective stabalizer batch since mine was in the very first batches == I just didn't fly it for about a year, which is too bad because it's giving Gopro wiggle room to absolve themselves from any sort of help. Bummer! I think it's clear they got out of the product because they were way over their heads!

Thanks all- yesI tried that "resolved" thread, and it was pretty much resolved by Gopro sending a new stabalizer-- I haven't tried a different camera because i don't have one-- I'm leaning towards defective stabalizer batch since mine was in the very first batches == I just didn't fly it for about a year, which is too bad because it's giving Gopro wiggle room to absolve themselves from any sort of help. Bummer! I think it's clear they got out of the product because they were way over their heads!

The stabilizer is fairly sensitive. If the drone was involved in a crash like you say...it is possible the stabilizer was damaged, even it it appears normal.

Reactions: XerxesZ
Thinking back, there was one time when I used a cGoPro 6 in the drone, but I was not happy with the result, so I went back to the GoPro 5 and have been satisfied ever since with control and stability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS