Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Almost fly away... Solution?

chitoman13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My first time flying the Karma (1/28/18) in an open field went smooth. The drone was stable and my video was great. Not even an hour later I got the drone up again and decided to run it till the battery went low. After getting the notification that the battery was low and to land soon, I flew it about 10 ft in front of me and attempted to land it. I do not remember what the controller said, but as soon as I got it about 4 feet from the ground, I began to lose control of my drone and it was trying to fly straight up. Luckily my brave younger brother was near by and was able to grab it by the legs. As soon as he did this, the motors began spinning even louder than they already are. After about a minute the drone gave up and stopped spinning, but what would have happened if my brother did not grab it?

Do you all think this was the RTH function activating because of low battery, even though the drone was only 10ft in front of me? After reading some discussions on here I feel as though we made the right choice, grabbing the drone while we had the chance. At first I thought it was the RTH function, but now I am thinking it may have been trying to fly away, just like a zoo bird. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you all can give me.

Hey everyone,

My first time flying the Karma (1/28/18) in an open field went smooth. The drone was stable and my video was great. Not even an hour later I got the drone up again and decided to run it till the battery went low. After getting the notification that the battery was low and to land soon, I flew it about 10 ft in front of me and attempted to land it. I do not remember what the controller said, but as soon as I got it about 4 feet from the ground, I began to lose control of my drone and it was trying to fly straight up. Luckily my brave younger brother was near by and was able to grab it by the legs. As soon as he did this, the motors began spinning even louder than they already are. After about a minute the drone gave up and stopped spinning, but what would have happened if my brother did not grab it?

Do you all think this was the RTH function activating because of low battery, even though the drone was only 10ft in front of me? After reading some discussions on here I feel as though we made the right choice, grabbing the drone while we had the chance. At first I thought it was the RTH function, but now I am thinking it may have been trying to fly away, just like a zoo bird. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you all can give me.
My advice to all is to buy DJI...the Karma drone couldve been a cool little drone...I had two of them...one flew away and I went through all that bs....I bailed on both of them and now im in a phantom....and I wish I would've done that in the first place...the phantom is 100 times more drone for about the same price....your Karma is dead

Mine did that it was going to return home mode it flies up to a certain height to make sure it clears trees items like that but it will re land

My advice to all is to buy DJI...the Karma drone couldve been a cool little drone...I had two of them...one flew away and I went through all that bs....I bailed on both of them and now im in a phantom....and I wish I would've done that in the first place...the phantom is 100 times more drone for about the same price....your Karma is dead

This is a Karma forum. You want to push DJI, go to a DJI forum. A lot of inexperienced folks flying both and both have issues, but this about Karma issues and trying to help people out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

Yeah this is the Auto return to home feature when the battery gets to a low point, unfortunately it will do this even if u are about to land, but it will only fly strait up to your pre set return altitude and then come back down.
This is not “Out Of Control” as you still have complete control over your drone during this procedure.
All you have to do is simply click the “X” on the screen as it clearly says it is performing Auto return and has the option to cancel clearly on the screen.
The fact that you have not read up on your karmas Manuel’s and obviously are not paying attention to the on screen display or the audio transcript is evident that you need to do more training before you go flying again.

Yeah this is the Auto return to home feature when the battery gets to a low point, unfortunately it will do this even if u are about to land, but it will only fly strait up to your pre set return altitude and then come back down.
This is not “Out Of Control” as you still have complete control over your drone during this procedure.
All you have to do is simply click the “X” on the screen as it clearly says it is performing Auto return and has the option to cancel clearly on the screen.
The fact that you have not read up on your karmas Manuel’s and obviously are not paying attention to the on screen display or the audio transcript is evident that you need to do more training before you go flying again.

Accepting the fact the Karma has so much that allows a complete beginner to go out and fly it without understanding any of the systems that make that possible is what results in most of the problems described here, though admitting to that would be embarrassing and put free replacement in Jeopardy. GoPro not innocent as the basic manual does not mention these systems so indirectly encourage flying with basic knowledge.

Flying without GPS is not easy unless you have done a lot of Heli or racing quad (no GPS) Flying. Don’t play tricks to use a Karma that way, it was not intended to be flown that way. Use a cheap quad to learn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS